Menu
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Curious about my BQM graph

Hi all,

My BQM 

Any suggestions as to the cause of the slightly improved latency between midnight and 9am?

It's not any kind of a problem, I was simply intrigued.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Curious about my BQM graph

Most likely people are asleep at that time  🙂

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

Well, yes... but would that really improve latency?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@TonyJover wrote:

@Adduxi wrote:

Well, yes... but would that really improve latency?

Yes, the circuit is not being utilised as much.  Your BQM is pretty good compared to some.  Have a look at the latency difference of a really over subscribed area 😉

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:Yes, the circuit is not being utilised as much.  Your BQM is pretty good compared to some.  Have a look at the latency difference of a really over subscribed area 

Yes, I was just viewing this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Latency-is-getting-worse-everyday/td-p/4607711/page/11

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Quite simple, it's due to other people using the network.

Like all networks, bandwidth is shared at some point, if someone else's data is being transmitted you have to wait in line. Networks use various ways of managing traffic so you're not waiting forever but it will mean some delay.

As an analogy, imagine you go to the shops. If you walk in at 3PM on Saturday you have to queue for a lot longer than if you walked in at 9PM on Tuesday where you don't have to queue at all. Why doesn't the shop hire thousands of staff and build 200 more checkouts so you never have to queue under any circumstances? Obviously it's not economically viable due to having to hire and train all those staff, it takes up a large amount of expensive floor space, and so on.

In a well run shop it's managed so there's not much queuing during peak hours, this gets customers in and out efficiently and makes them happy. In a badly run shop it can't cope so people get poor service.

This is the reason why some networks are better - they have more metaphorical car parking space, more checkouts, better staff, more efficient layouts, and so on.

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I hadn't really thought about it that hard.  It's obvious on reflection that latency will be directly proportional to the shared bandwidth.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It’s really minimal in comparison to others 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos