Menu
mak105
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Creating an extra WIFI network for Smart Home Devices

Hello,

I have the HUB 3 and would like to create an extra network exclusively for my Smart Home Devices. I currently have the HOME network and the GUEST network. I have already placed some Smart Home Devices on the GUEST network but other Smart Home Devices are not able to join the GUEST network. This could be because of compatibility requirements between the device and the 2Ghz GUEST network.

I was thinking it might be better to create an extra network(dual-band) and place all the Smart Home Devices there.

Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Creating an extra WIFI network for Smart Home Devices

can't be done on the hub you can only have the Main SSID and the guest. to do this you'll need your own router that can create multiple SSIDs

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Like this router can make a VLAN subnet and SSID to the VLAN.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-ZyWALL-Wireless-Firewall-recommended/dp/B00KD5LJI4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=...

---------------------------------------------------------------
mak105
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I will look at purchasing a new router. Specifically, I wanted to create the extra network for the Smart Home Devices to protect the HOME network against potential hacking via the Smart Devices. 

I have also recently subscribed to a VPN service and it looks like I will be purchasing a new router as the VPN cannot be installed on the VM HUB 3. I suppose if I purchase a new router and install the VPN on it, then the whole network will be secure anyway and there would be no need to create an extra NETWORK for the Smart Home Devices.

0 Kudos
mak105
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll check that out.

0 Kudos