Menu
monkeydude40
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Continual loss of Wi Fi Signal

I have a Super Hub 2 and honestly am getting to the end of my tether with it. I wrote to complain about the issue and never got any response beyond an automated confirmation email. For months on end now the 2.4ghz WiFi has been dropping out anywhere between 2 and 10 times a day. 

When I called technical support they told me to hard reset the router using the pinhole and that if the problem persisted within 7 days to call back and either an engineer would come out or we would get a new router. Predictably it did go wrong, but the only `help` I got when ringing back was a frankly patronizing email that seemed to be aimed at 10 yr olds.

My daughter who lives in Leeds had an issue similar to ours and she got a new router and some money back for loss of service with no issues what so ever. All I am getting is the runaround and paying for a shoddy and unreliable service. If this were an item that I bought on the internet then I would send it back under the consumer credit acts long distance selling regulations as `unfit for purpose` and demand a full refund. 

It seems though as a long standing customer I am just being treated as a sucker who is caught in a trap of my own making as I trusted Virgin to give me equipment that is fit for purpose because I play a lot of online games and want a faster connection than what is available from Sky.

I also do a lot of streaming to my tablet, phone and my Chromecast. However with the choppy WiFi signal this has become so frustrating that sometimes I cannot even be bothered.

Trust me when I say if I can ever get something approaching the 2GB speed I have now I will leave Virgin and never look back.

0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continual loss of Wi Fi Signal

Are wired connections by an ethernet cable OK?

If so, wire a wireless access point by ethernet to the router and use that signal instead.

Save you a lot of hastle for a few quid.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi is never ideal for playing games, even with a strong signal. Latency is always worse than with a wired connection.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you really want to improve things you could do what I have done.  I also have an SH2 but from day one always had it in modem mode with my own wifi router providing flawless 2.4 & 5 GHz signals all over the house.  My lad is an avid online gamer and refuses point blank to use (the excellent!) wifi so he has his PC/xbox/ps3 all hard wired in his bedroom through a pair of good quality powerline adapters, and hasn't complained once, ever.

You could always go back to VM and they will (eventually) replace the SH2 with a Hub3 - if that's what you want - the best way is to tell them that the SH2 has developed the "known security fault" on its wifi - of dropping from WPA to WEP password protection and you are not happy about that and want it fixed.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
monkeydude40
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't use the WiFi for gaming, just the wired connection which is fine.

I don't believe that I should have to buy my own WiFi router and just use the Super Hub in modem mode just to make up for Virgin's crappy customer service. The point is that we rent the service from them and they are unable or unwilling to replace an obviously faulty piece of junk and give us equipment that actually works. On average we lose about 10 hrs a month farting about turning the router off and on again all of which is free cash for Virgin for a partially non functioning service.

All I want is a functioning Super Hub but it seems like I have more chance of going to Pluto than Virgin actually giving a monkeys about good customer service. Given the market share Virgin have and that their Gigabit services are way beyond the competition they should be ashamed of their third rate and ineffective customer service. Sadly the truth is that they are too big to care and know that the closest any other provider can get is 67MB which pales into insignificance vs 350GB for their top service.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the wired connection is fine, but wireless is affected by many factors outside VM's or any ISP's control.
Especially on the narrow, crowded 2.4GHz band where not only neighbouring wireless network but domestic appliances are fighting for airspace.It is known as the Junk Band with good reas

Yes, the VM Hub's are cheap entry level devices, pretty much like most major ISP's kit, and a decent third party router would provide a better overall coverage, but whether it will completely resolve your problems will depend on many factors. Wireless is a two way street and wireless clients play a part as well.

It could be that a simple wireless channel change could improve your wireless, so always worth trying that first using a freely downloadable wireless scanner first bearing in mind the scanner will not pick up interference from domestic appliances.

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you genuinely spend 10 hours per month messing about with the VM kit (as opposed to sourcing something better yourself) then you can't be putting put a very high value on your own time. Even at £7.83/hour minimum wage rate you would be well on your way to buying a third party router after just one month in time saved, if a third party router actually gave you some better results.

Whether or not you should be 'having' to do that is another matter.

As per griffin's advice, do some investigating first into the wireless environment in your home. Some simple configuration changes to the existing setup may help.

If not, look at some third party equipment. Some folks on here recommend a replacement router. Others favour a wireless access point.

(And I agree that VM are 'too big to care', so if you have to take some action yourself to make your wireless setup better .....)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@monkeydude40 wrote:

I don't use the WiFi for gaming, just the wired connection which is fine.

I don't believe that I should have to buy my own WiFi router and just use the Super Hub in modem mode just to make up for Virgin's crappy customer service.

OK - if you dont want a better wifi option, then follow my advice above and they will swap your SH2 for the Hub3.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi monkeydude40, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

I am really sorry to hear you're having problems with your WiFi. 

I would love to check everything at our end and see what we can do to get this resolved. I have sent you a private message so we can clear security with you and check the account, please reply if you still need help 🙂

All the best, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos