Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Constant fluctuation of cable broadband speed & Hub3 Router and Mobile VM app(on Apple) problems

I live in the SL0 9RD area of Iver just get a constant fluctuation in cable Modem speed run speed test upload okay download fluctuates between1-9 MPS. When more constant just internet speed/DNS response so slow this is all the time. ADSL was more constant,  VM Hub3 router connect VM App(apple installed) try and run speed test this fails at second stage and messaging to support staff just does not work and having to switch off and reset cable modem.

When is VM going to get more constant throughput it was far better cable bandwidth delivery when I worked Liberty Global in NL 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant fluctuation of cable broadband speed & Hub3 Router and Mobile VM app(on Apple) problems

What are your speeds like wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant fluctuation of cable broadband speed & Hub3 Router and Mobile VM app(on Apple) problems

Just seen your response and thank you for this using various BB test Wifi 5Ghz - typically download 100-106 but download as low 22MBs latency 6-50ms  Upload varies 3-9Mbs 2.5Ghz typically download 50-75Mbs Upload 3-8Mbs latency 6-50ms. Directly attached(ethernet) Cat5/6E download typically 50-77 Mbs Upload varies 3-9Mbs latency 6-50ms. I come from a teleco system/network design background and the testing I am doing is with some expertise hence my initial comments 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So you’d know then that wireless speeds aren’t guaranteed right?

What site are you Speedtesting on?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes understand this,  however their is such a variation in download and upload Mbs and latency around the VM contacted service rates means their is service impacting unfortunately the easiest way for VM to resolve this is to reset or reboot the VM router this will reset the connection and give you a better speed then the service will degrade some area are okay but it have issue depend on the location VM are making improvements but it is a bit of a mess   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So what's your question/issue?
Have you setup a BQM?

Have you checked all your levels are within spec?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes but all this does is what I am stating BQM is over a longer period and the key aspect of having a reasonable service is being up and delivering the speeds it states which is not the case and talk from a point of design these type networks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So the BQM will show the drops.

And the speedtests need to be carried out from a wired device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

In a nutshell no unfortunately IP networks is a "best effort" bit like turning on/off tap known as packet flow, their are mechanism use to make this smoother and other route the this so they are delivered/received in a constant flow and you can see this when say video/voice conferencing start to fail i.e loss of sound breakup of picture video. Also WiFi  RF transmission has to penetrate different material this also affect this absorption and reflection of WiFi RF transmissions.

The only thing which is guaranteed is the performance dropping below a certain speed and this has to be measured over a period of time and it is proving this is the challenge 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ask them to monitor your connection.

It still doesn't change the matter of speeds being guaranteed by compatible wired devices only and not WiFi.

0 Kudos