Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Constant Intermittent Broadband Connection

Hi

For the last few weeks my internet connection has been periodically dropping out throughout the day (Area 21).

It is only for a few minutes but more than enough to cause disruption to Team meetings and lost emails.

Naturally, the phone service drops too.  

I have tried all the tips and checks and there is no service issue in my area. I have tried to make contact via email but receive an error message in response.

As frustrating as that is but I called Technical Support many, and I mean many times and every time when it is my luck day and call centre is not closed because of Corona and someone answers I have to start over describing the issue and going through the same scripted steps. 

Against my advice, as I do not think the issue lies my home equipment,  technician came over and said he tightened some loose cables around the property and it all should be fine. 

It was not. 

I do not think Virgin taking this issue seriously at all. But for me it is vital. 

I am sick and tired of this. This is not viable. 

All what I need to know now, since that I have given up hope in fixing the issue as it looks that it is too much of an ask for Virgin to do a thorough analysis and allocate resource to fix just one customer problem, is to know how to get out of my contract for the remainder of the term so I can sign up with BT. 

Which team should I be speaking to and what steps should I follow because simply this is not viable at all. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Intermittent Broadband Connection

In answer to your simple request "how do I get out", then if it's a month or two until the end of your fixed term, just sit it out as that's the quickest option (and don't wait for the contract to end before getting your new ISP connection installed and working, as any delays or faults leave you with no connection).

If it's more than a couple of months, then search, read and follow the Virgin Media Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, and I suggest raise the complaint in writing by recorded post.  Explain the problem carefully, the history of VM's efforts to solve it, and the outcome you require, and be specific that if they cannot agree to your immediate release from contract without penalty, you require them to issue a "deadlock letter" so that you can immediately escalate this to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, seeking the same outcome plus compensation for the poor connection over previous months, wasted time trying to get the matter resolved and having to escalate the complaint.  Point out that VM are evidently in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requirement that services must be provided with reasonable skill and care - the failure here isn't about the terms of your contract as those terms guarantee nothing useful in performance terms.  If VM won;t agree to release you nor issue a deadlock letter, then you have to wait eight weeks before being able to go to CISAS, but that becomes a further element of the CISAS complaint, and costs to claim back.  Going to CISAS is expensive for VM (free to you) so they'd be fools to let that happen, but they often do.

You could start by phoning VM to cancel, that'll get you through to the Retentions team who may actually be able to help either get the resource allocated to fix the problem or agree to release you from contract, but equally they may not, or you may find it impossible to get through.

And if the forum staff can pick this up and help, that's always the quickest and easiest option for you, but I can't say whether it will get the outcome you want.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for taking the time to look at my issue. 

The thing is I have tried every option there is to try to get to someone at VM with no success. 

I am not sure what to do next? 

Shall I just stop paying for this useless service and then get them to call me? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What exactly is dropping - the connection in it's entirety or just WiFi?

Stopping payment will just lead to your account being passed to a collections agency and being marked as defaulted on your credit files for the next 6 years.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. 

The router just reboot itself, phone and internet are lost. 

This has been going on for weeks 

I know stopping payment will result in what you said but I just can not get through to them and second I just can not keep paying for a service I am not receiving. 

Stopping payment will get them to call me. 

I want to sign up with BT much more reliable so I get on with my work.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As said, to cancel you have to give 30-days notice - do that ~28 days before the contact terminates.

1. Call 150 from a VM phone or by dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone - they are still picking up - calling at 08.00 is the best time and you will get through - just be patient

Or...

2. Cancel in writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG. Include name address and all account details.

Do it by registered mail with a receipt for signature on arrival.

Whatever you do DO NOT cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been settled or...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/new-credit-file-default-affecting-mortgage-app...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@muosman wrote:

Thanks for replying. 

The router just reboot itself, phone and internet are lost. 

This has been going on for weeks 

I know stopping payment will result in what you said but I just can not get through to them and second I just can not keep paying for a service I am not receiving. 

Stopping payment will get them to call me. 

I want to sign up with BT much more reliable so I get on with my work.

Thanks 

They won’t call you. They have no reason to. It’s already stated in your contract that failure to make payment means your account will be defaulted and passed to a collection agency.

3. You must ensure that your payments are received by Virgin Media Payments by the due date for payment shown on your bill.  If you do not pay your bills on time, you may need to pay interest or other charges for your default as set out in our price guides. We may also suspend or cancel the services and charge you the costs of debt recovery proceedings to recover any debt you owe under this agreement.  Reminders will normally be sent for late bill payments.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This sound like a mafia I have to pay no matter what. 

I think once they called me for a delayed payment sometime ago. 

I'd rather do that than keep paying for a service I am not getting. I can not keep wasting my time on the phone like that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@muosman wrote:

This sound like a mafia I have to pay no matter what. 

I think once they called me for a delayed payment sometime ago. 

I'd rather do that than keep paying for a service I am not getting. I can not keep wasting my time on the phone like that.

It’s not a “mafia”. It’s a contract you agreed to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure where we going with this 

Contract is between parties. First party pays the second part provide a service 

When the 2nd party is NOT providing the service, not only that but also is in-accessible , and then demand money for nothing then it is worse than a mafia. IT is a robbery in broad daylight. At least you get protection f you pay for the mafia. 

0 Kudos