cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant. Drop outs

dublife58
On our wavelength

Hi I’m on hub 4 I’ve had a new splitter done out side and a new hub 4 , but the signal keeps dropping out on Wi-Fi and Ethernet multiple times a day more at night time , had trouble like this for months , i rang on Wednesday and the lady said I have had 180 drop outs this week alone and it dropped out on her while running checks, so they sent an engineer today 

, the last technician who put in my new hub in modem mode and said use to tp link decos for Wi-Fi and some connections at out the hub via Ethernet, 

he said it was all okay ,

so today’s on  visit while the technician was here it didn’t drop out once typical but he says everything is fine and is saying in modem mode I can only use 1 Ethernet as the others might be giving feedback and disrupting my signal

Can this be true ?? As when the internet drops it goes off for 1 - 2 mins and connects again it wipes out Ethernet and Wi-Fi  

does anyone else have any ideas that could cause dropouts that are hard to pin point as when they test the line it says all is fine and no noise on the line also the drop outs are more frequent in the evening 

I check the logs when the internet drops and the upstream and downstream are all normal and nothing changes when it drops 

thanks Charmaine 

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In modem mode - only one ethernet port is active - and that is the one your router is plugged into.. Any additional ethernet connections have to come from your Deco's.

What Deco system is it and did you set it up in this sequence - if not try again like this first - before we look at the connection data

Switch on and set up your own first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be set that way anyway. And make sure its registered with TP-Link

Then, disconnect all cables from all of the Mesh units and switch them off and unplug them from power..

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your first Mesh unit on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

Also just check this ... in case DECO unit QoS defaults to 100 - message 2 in…
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgraded-from-100-to-200-with-no-difference/td-p/4931648

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi I have 4 Ethernet plugged into the hub that need to run and I better taking out of modem mode and see if that helps also just told my decos that I  I have the 1000 speed and saved the at into settings

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not sure I follow that. Is the Hub in modem mode or not? If it is, the other ethernet ports on the Hub will not give any connectivity - they auto inactivate. If they are active then the Hub is not in modem mode and the Deco is just in access mode.

Which is correct?

If Hub is in modem mode you need to plug an unmanaged network switch into the second port of the first Deco. 5-8 GB port ones are on ~£15 and so you can plug your devices into that and they will work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Scratch that just checked it’s not in modem mode anyway technician did a pin hole reset and must of made it router again but I did pinhole reset on Monday night and didn’t change modem settings  so it’s been router all along so throws that theory out the window so something causing dropouts but he did put me a new tap in the street box maybe that will help 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whatever happens... the router in the Deco is far superior to that in any VM Hub.

So reconnect as I said above to maximise what you have.

What Deco model is it..... S4/M4/M5/x20...... or something else?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Deco is M4 ac1200 dual band pack of 3 

I’m looking at this Deal: TP-Link TL-SG108S, 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch, Ethernet Splitter, Hub, Desktop and Wall-Mounting, Sturdy Metal, Fanless, Plug and Play, Energy-Saving https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HP6ZLSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_432XFPKZCZ631RM2BKKP?_encoding=UTF8...

8 port internet switch  if you think that’s better 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep that's a good switch which will do the job. May be a bit "bulky" but if that's not an issue - go for it. - a 5-ports in plastic one will be more "svelte" - but its a personal choice 🙂

M4's are a good system and will work a treat in Modem mode with that switch connected to the other port on the first unit.... after you have connected the Mesh as detailed above

--------------------
John
--------------------