cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant 1 second connection drops on 500mb/Hub4

Miss_CJ
Joining in

We have Hub 4 and 500mb connection. Every 2-3 minutes we lose connection for a split second, this is most obvious in online games where the gameplay will freeze and discord chat will drop. I’ve also run a command prompt window to ping google.com and when the connection freezes, the request times out in CMD (presumably suggesting no connection to google.com). 

This affects multiple gaming devices - both wired and wireless and also various games, so we know it isn’t limited to connection type, machine type or specific game. Video streaming is unaffected but presumably it’s because that buffers in advance and isn’t ‘real time’ like a game. 

When we previously had longer drop outs, the engineer suggested we needed a better Hub5 or an aftermarket router, so as an option to alleviate the issue we upgraded to 1gb on the understanding this would give us a Hub5, but it turns out that this isn’t the case so we have cancelled the upgrade. As this could be an incoming signal issue and not the Hub 4, I don’t fancy spending £200 on a better router if we don’t know it’ll fix the problem. 

we’ve also run the think broadband bqm and it looks surprisingly fine. 

how do we fix the issue please and why is it so hard to get a Hub5? 

12 REPLIES 12

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Miss_CJ, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you have been seeing drop outs with your connection. I have checked our system and can see that you have spoken with the team since posting this. Were they able to help resolve this for you?

If you need anything further, please let us know. We will be happy to assist further

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi,

No, the issue is still present. A 1 second disconnection every 6 minutes. We have 1gig and I believe Hub5 being delivered tomorrow so was going to see if that fixes things before contacting again 

Sorry to hear that this has not been resolved for you @Miss_CJ

I have checked the systems at our side an can see that we have identified and raised an area issue to our network team to investigate further. My apologies for any inconvenience caused whilst the team look to resolve this as soon as possible fro you

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi,

An engineer attended today, acknowledged the issue and replaced our Hub 4 with a new unit, but the exact same problem persists - disconnection exactly every 6 minutes.

What do I do next?  Another engineer visit?  Not sure why this engineer didn't check to see if the problem was resolved.

Just been through the crazy phone process a few more times to get through to someone who claims to be unable to hear me.  Can I rebook an engineer on here somehow please?

Managed to finally get through to someone and booked another engineer for this Saturday

What is the process if the engineer can't find an issue please?  I've seen quite a few posts like this on the forum via a Google search where this stuff seems to go on for months unresolved

Hi Miss_CJ,

Thanks for updating us, sorry to hear you've still been having some issues.

Glad to hear we have another engineer arranged. Please keep us posted with how this goes.

Alex_Rm

Waited in 4-7pm and nobody has turned up and no communication. This is mega service. Love it. 

How do I book another appointment without sitting on the phone for 40 minutes please?

Hi Miss_CJ

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry to hear of this happening. It was cancelled due to the outage in the area. 

You are affected by an ongoing SNR issue (signal to noise ratio). F010426727 - this is the fault number and means intermittent connection. 

We have checked the system and when this was automatically cancelled due to the above fault being found in the area, an auto message was sent to the contact number on file. I am sorry if you have not received this. This was sent on the 2nd February.

The estimated fix date for the outage is tomorrow, please monitor the connection for us and report back any issues.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, the issue went away for a day or two, but is now back?  What happens next please?