Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Consistant internet outages

Virgin's facebook said to post my issue here as well. Over the last 5 days I have had regular internet outages in the S14 area of Sheffield. Everytime I have book an engineer to come I get an automated text saying they have identified an issue and the engineer is cancelled. Then the internet goes down again the next day and the process repeats I book an engineer get the automated text and the visit is cancelled this has happened 3 times in the last 5 days now and is getting incredibly frustrating. I work from home and have started to rack up a larger bill on my 4g tether than usual as I have been without net for 3 working days out of those 5 ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consistant internet outages

As well as trying the “check service,” weblink (at the top of this forum board), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) - that may give you more info.
If nothing shows on there call it in as a fault and see what they say about it, and get a fault reference number.

The "compensation "timer" can also be started on the 0800 number.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may not be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned 

..................................................................................................................

Then set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

....................................................................................

As a home worker you might be as well having a commercial contract that has better fault resolution times.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John both the service checker and number provided say there are no issues currently . There were no other options on the number provided to report a fault or start the compensation timer ( have allready asked for compensation to be added when I rang the helpdesk ) 

Regards

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

have allready asked for compensation to be added when I rang the helpdesk

The offshore clowns will promise anything to get you off the phone, and if any compensation turns up without further effort I'll be amazed.  And the automatic compensation scheme won't help either, as it is total crap - Ofcom's senior civil servants should all be sacked for allowing the industry to implement such a lazy, half-baked, customer-unfriendly effort.  Because that automatic compensation scheme is based on continuous loss of service and has (from memory) a two day period before it even kicks in you'll almost certainly get nothing under that.  I suggest you search and follow Virgin Media's complaints code of practice, WRITE to VM by post, ask for the problem to be fixed and compensation for the poor service (I would claim under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, that requires services to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", not under your civil law contract with Virgin Media). 

If VM don't settle the complaint to your total satisfaction, then contact CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme, but you MUST read and follow the CISAS customer guidance to ensure they can accept the complaint within their terms of reference.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'm not able to set up a BQM as the internet is totally down , My pc is only listing the local address 192.168 etc when IP config is being run connected to the router. 

Here are the results from the routers status page as requested  apologies for the formatting having to use my phone to post this as it's the online thing with working internet

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Scanning
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Provisioning State

Password

General Configuration
Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type

Network LogTime Priority Description  
26/02/2020 02:08:21criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:08:21Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:08:21criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:08:26Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:09:3criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:19:30criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:19:35Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:27:48Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:27:49criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:27:49Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:27:49criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:27:54Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 02:28:37criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 06:45:57criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:11:31Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:11:31criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:11:31Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:11:31criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:11:36Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
26/02/2020 12:12:25criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Andruser 

Thanks for the advice that's bloody ridiculous I will definitely be following up with the information you have provided

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Which model Hub do you have?

What colour lights and position are illuminated on the Hub?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 flashing green light and lit wifi symbol 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Time for a factory reset I think ...

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos