Menu
MM1204
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Connectivty issues

I have been a customer since Telewest days and things have not got any better. I have a Superhub 3 which had rubbish wifi coverage so moved to using it in Modem mode with 3 BT mesh disks. Worked fine and started to cut out regularly. Was persuaded that intelligent wifi was the way to go so am paying another £5 per month and got a hub in the post. Reverted back to router mode and wifi would not connect. Was told that there was an outage problem in the road that would not be resolved until 8th Feb. Noone else in the road with Virgin was having any problems. Factory reset the hub as advised, still nothing so tried to revert to modem mode, just get a red light. After several resets, have managed to get two Macs to connect via ethernet but Windows PC and tvs have no connection, just the usual DNS error message. No wifi. I think Virgin are sending a new hub but dont know when I'll get it and they didn't know whether that would work.Was refused a Hub 4 as I wont pay £90 a month for the tv channels that I dont watch. Cant get an engineer appointment until the new hub arrives (if it does) and then I'll have to pay for it! Can anyone help?

Now just realised I have no CCTV, alarm or Nest access!

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connectivty issues

@MM1204 wrote:

I have a Superhub 3 which had rubbish wifi coverage so moved to using it in Modem mode with 3 BT mesh disks. Worked fine and started to cut out regularly. Was persuaded that intelligent wifi was the way to go so am paying another £5 per month and got a hub in the post. 

Why on earth did you go from the mesh discs to 'Intelligent Wi-Fi' (which is just a marketing term) ?

To troubleshoot, go to a simple configuration - a laptop with wired connection to the hub - is that stable?   then go from there.   If you still have the BT mesh system I'd put the hub in modem mode and use those.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
MM1204
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK I'll try that...

0 Kudos
MM1204
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub wont go into Modem mode, just shows a red light after updating the settings

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Try turning the hub off/on

I've just put our hub 3 into modem mode to use a different router - it was 'reluctant' and took a few reboots before it worked properly.

Then my D-Link router didn't get a WAN side IP address (though when connecting a windows laptop to the Ethernet port on the hub it did get one) - rebooting the Hub 3 again fixed that.....

And my hub's LED shows red in modem mode - certainly wouldn't call it 'magenta'.

See if you can log into the hub at 192.168.100.1 - and not 192.168.0.1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

what BT mesh discs do you have? pretty sure their “whole home” stuff doesn’t actually have a router component.. they’re just access points.. so modem mode won’t work..

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree with tehwolf... try the Hub in normal mode and just set the BT discs up as access points

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
MM1204
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks, I'll try that...

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My apologies for not suggesting that before - but you mentioned using the discs with the hub in modem mode in the original post here, so I assumed you had them working in that way previously. I somehow assumed they were a model that had router functionality.

You may well have had them working as additional APs before - that's what you should try going back to.

0 Kudos
MM1204
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It now is back to how it was! Thanks ever so much for your help and knowledge, I can even watch a film tonight!