cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity but no Internet Access?

EmilyP1
Joining in

We’ve had no internet since yesterday afternoon (Fri 30 Mar).  I hadn’t received any notifications of work being carried out in our area which may affect our service.  My first step was logging into our account and using the service checker and it told me there were no broadband issues.  I also ran the diagnostic tests, and still no answers, it just told me that we needed an engineer out to look/sort it out.  Me being careful/paranoid, I thought perhaps our IP address had been compromised, so I took the step to do a hard reset, taking it back to its factory settings, and then logging into the routers admin page to change the default settings, again, and even this has been a little odd, and hasn’t worked.

All I’m I getting is the Wi-Fi symbol on the front of the router which is green, and the green arrows flashing for sometime, then going off, then flashing again, which tells me there is connectivity but for some reason we have no internet access……I’ve been at it 6 hours now…..HELP PLEASE!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@EmilyP1 wrote:

We’ve had no internet since yesterday afternoon (Fri 30 Mar).  I hadn’t received any notifications of work being carried out in our area which may affect our service.  My first step was logging into our account and using the service checker and it told me there were no broadband issues.  I also ran the diagnostic tests, and still no answers, it just told me that we needed an engineer out to look/sort it out.  Me being careful/paranoid, I thought perhaps our IP address had been compromised, so I took the step to do a hard reset, taking it back to its factory settings, and then logging into the routers admin page to change the default settings, again, and even this has been a little odd, and hasn’t worked.

All I’m I getting is the Wi-Fi symbol on the front of the router which is green, and the green arrows flashing for sometime, then going off, then flashing again, which tells me there is connectivity but for some reason we have no internet access……I’ve been at it 6 hours now…..HELP PLEASE!

Emily, the WiFi symbol being green only indicates that the WiFi component is working, ie a device can connect to the hub via WiFi perfectly well, it just can’t get any further. The flashing arrows is the important thing, the hub is trying to talk to VM’s equipment further ‘up the chain’ so to speak, and failing! Hence no internet connection. You need to call VM and report a complete loss of service, despite what the service checker might say, there is still the possibility of a local issue, but VM won’t necessarily be aware of it until enough people call and complain.

If they don’t acknowledge a local issue, then they should offer to send a tech to take a look, this appointment might well get automatically cancelled though, if they subsequently accept that their is a wider issue at play, which is fair enough, little point sending someone to your house if the issue is elsewhere.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date faults info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.
The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number if appropriate.

What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jem101
Superstar

@EmilyP1 wrote:

Emily, the WiFi symbol being green only indicates that the WiFi component is working, ie a device can connect to the hub via WiFi perfectly well, it just can’t get any further. The flashing arrows is the important thing, the hub is trying to talk to VM’s equipment further ‘up the chain’ so to speak, and failing! Hence no internet connection. You need to call VM and report a complete loss of service, despite what the service checker might say, there is still the possibility of a local issue, but VM won’t necessarily be aware of it until enough people call and complain.

If they don’t acknowledge a local issue, then they should offer to send a tech to take a look, this appointment might well get automatically cancelled though, if they subsequently accept that their is a wider issue at play, which is fair enough, little point sending someone to your house if the issue is elsewhere.

Thank you for your message.  I will call that number now, very helpful.  And I did wonder where I could “register loss of service”.

it’s Hub 3.0…..

Thank you for that info!  I think I will call them/book an engineer 🙂

Called that number and it confirmed that there were no Broadband issues in the area.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @EmilyP1,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your public post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your services at the moment!

Glad to hear that you've been able to book a technician appointment for your ongoing issue. Please keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any additional assistance so that we can look into this further for you. We're here to help.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs