Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connection problems with wifi range extender

Hi,

Generally I have been happy with Virgin broadband, but my problems began 2 years ago when my wife became pregnant again. As a result, my study (with excellent wifi signal) became a nursery and the PC in the study (old Dell XPS420) moved to a part of the house with virtually no wifi signal (not a big house but now in the opposite corner of the house from the router [Superhub 2ac] with an external wall and water tank in between).

I looked at various options to improve the signal, but eventually opted for a wifi range extender (Belkin N600DB) rather than a powerline as the PC and router are on separate electric circuits.

All worked well until the last couple of weeks when the wifi reception via the range extender has been terrible.  The range extender looses it's connection to the router every few minutes, but even when it is connected it seems painfully  slow. The range extender is not too far from the router as the same problem occurs even when it is placed in the same room. Same problem whether extending the 2.4g or 5g signals. Router and range extender have both been reset but no improvement. The wifi is fine otherwise.

In the router network log there are repeated logs of "DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4" which seem to correspond with whenever the range extender is being used. 

No recent changes to the network generally. There are a few Alexa devices connected but problem seem to persist even when these are turned off. 

Main questions are:

1) Do the symptoms and log messages suggest that the router or range extender are at fault?

2) any suggested fixes?

3) any alternative solutions to the original wifi signal problem? (I was thinking new PCIe card for the PC given that the existing network card must be 10yr old?).

Thanks in anticipation. 

Jamie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connection problems with wifi range extender

The Belkin is a very cheap 300Mbps wireless N and AC extender and reviews online report issues with range being poor.

You would do better with a new router or a mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  To be fair on the range extender it did work well for a couple of years, thus the question about the current error message and whether this points to the range finder or router. 

If going for a new modem, any particular suggestions. Would hate to buy and set up something new only to find it is no better than the original. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Depends if you want a router, AP or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos