Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connection Problems

Hello !

I've gotten my self setup router on the 2nd of May and since then everyday between 24 and 01 my internet drops, this is not a one time thing, it has been doing this every single day since i have it.

Does anyone have this problem ? If yes, anyone know of a solution ? Being a streamer my internet connection cannot drop. It has really been messing things up

Thank you 😄

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Problems

Hi there my name is Pawan Paul I am a virgin media technician I can give you a few tips for example make sure all connections are tight from the back of the hub to the isolater then do a hard rest which can be found at the back of the hub

All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i did that and it still drops everyday, it has been dropping for 2 weeks, plug i have beed getting literally 50% or less of the speeds im paying for which is disgusting. And also there are days where i get 10mbps download when im suppose to get 350. I reset my hub like they say, its on an open space and even if im 1 meter or less away from the hub i cant get good enough speeds. This is really annoying me cuz it is making my life really hard to be online like i need to.

Any settings recommended for the hub 3.0 ? Because rarely i get good speeds, and if i do get good speeds i get maximum of 100mbps.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You never said originally.... do the problems only occur on wfi connected devices or do ethernet cable connected ones also drop out?
Also for speed tests to accurately report what your Hub is being supplied with, they must be done on a computer/laptop which is wired directly with Cat5e/6 cable to the Hub which is in modem mode - is that how yours were done?

You could try a factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I did that, speeds are still averaging 50/60 wireless (i cannot connect my ethernet cable because i have a desktop and it is upstairs and i cannot get the router upstairs cuz the line is on the room downstairs so i gotta wait for someone to come and redirect the line)
Everyday between 24 and 1 the internet drops, on all wireless devices, it has done that everyday, i reset it with the tiny button of the back on the 3rd day that happened and it kept going. The speeds are the same on all devices (slower on my desktop due to my TP-Link card being slower) but on my phone, ps4 and other phones it goes from 50 to 60, sometimes at night it goes up to 100 but thats it. i only got the max speed wireless twice.
My problem right now isnt the speed, it is really annoying going from 50 download speed to 10 for some reason randomly during the day but that cant be fixed for now im guessing.

Thank you for your help 😄 Im guessing my best guess is to wait until someone can come over and fix my line right ? (im guessing my line is pretty old because the wall socket looks horrible)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can get long (20/50 metre) runs of Cat5e/6 cable for less than a tenner from the usual online places - useful to have for "testing" occasions like this - can just trail it over carpet, upstairs etc for the hour or two while you run the tests - then put it back into your man-cupboard.

Re. wifi - the Hub3 is less than average at it and I would always say dont use it for wifi and get your own better quality equipment.

But....

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3 wifi issues for certain devices. Worth trying it first - as per this link:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-wifi-connection/m-p/4063642#M213435

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You mean between midnight and 1am?

That’s when VM tend to do any network related works etc.

If you’re streaming as a way of making money you should be looking into a business account which has stricter SLA’s for downtime etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos