Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a 3rd party router

Hello, 

Recently I discovered online through multiple sources that you can connect another router to your vm super hub 3 while it’s in modem mode. 

This is the router I’m considering buying, however I have a couple questions: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/...

(if there are any better alternatives please let me know, my main reason for buying this is to change my IP address since virgin media provide no support with that )

1) Will it give me with a different IP address?

2) Will the IP Address be dynamic?

3) Do I have to connect every device through Ethernet or does it have WiFi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting a 3rd party router

Yes
No
It has wifi.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will I be able to change my ip whenever or will I only have the one from modem mode

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can't change your VM IP address.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You will have one ip address when the hub is in normal router mode and then another when you are in modem mode and have your own router. Those two addresses are very "sticky" and are likely to remain the same for a long time (years!).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any recommendations of routers I should get? I'm looking for something relatively cheap as there is only 4 people in the house. 

0 Kudos