Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connecting WiFi camera to my Hub 2 - it does not, why ?

I have a Swann Floodlight security light and camera that uses WiFi to connect. I have the app. but have tried to pair the device to my home router but it does appear to work ? I have tried using the WPS button but didn't work. The only reason I guess is that it is a video streaming device and perhaps my Hub 2 isn't setup for this ? I have Broad band only , no TV services . Should this matter ?

Any help here would be useful. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting WiFi camera to my Hub 2 - it does not, why ?

What App are you trying? If the Connect App - that doesnt work with an SH2 - as you have discovered.

There are 2 SSID's for wifi (see Hub base sticker for their "names") one is 2.4GHz and the other 5GHz. Is the Swann capable of connecting to both bands or is it limited to the 2.4 one - its spec sheet should say. If it can do both which one are you trying to connect it to?

Do other wifi devices connect ok to the 2.4GHz SSIDs the 5GHz one ok on other devices?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, thanks for your response.

The app. is by Swann called HomeSafe. It has a Device section but when it 'looks' for the floodlight camera , it states a device cannot be found.

When the floodlight is switched on the camera light flashes attempting to pair with the hub ?? I've pressed the WPS button on the hub 2 router but nothing occurs. So , for example when I bought my Canon WiFi printer I just switched it on and pressed the WPS button and it's worked on my WiFi no problem. I guess I'm assuming this WiFi camera would connect in the same way ? The app. does not have a pairing function or anything that would connect the WiFi , so I assume it should be automatic.

Also, I attempted to connect my Smart TV using WiFi entering passphrase etc but it didn't work either. Therefore I think some setting needs updating on my Hub 2? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry forgot, camera uses 2.4Ghz network only
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

One possibility is that the camera is just not "seeing" your 2.4 network. That might be for several reasons. How far away is it from the Hub? Are there lots of "interferences" between the Hub and the camera - e.g. thick stone/brick walls, foil insulated walls/ceilings etc, electrical items, etc.

One way to test this is to get a "Wifi Scanning" App for your mobile (lots of good free ones out there) then scan for detectable wifi networks (SSID's).  Do it first right next to the Hub  - your 2.4/5 SSID's ought to be right at the top of the detected ones - as the "strongest" available - see what channel numbers they are on. Then go and hold the phone as close to the camera as possible and do the scan again. Is your 2.4 (and 5GHz) SSID still there and is it still the strongest signal or is it being swamped by others?  If there are lots of others there (there are >20 other SSID's in my location) see what channel they on. If they are the same as yours is on change your 2.4 channel to one of channel numbers 1,6,11 - that is least in use at the camera's location.

You could try the same for the smart TV - but also I would recommend you connect it by ethernet cable to the Hub (mine is) for flawless performance

See if any of that helps. If not there are a number of options --- you can get a free swap to a Hub3 for example. Or just do as I do - put the Hub into modem mode and get your own better quality wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good points raised.

I have the Hub 2 , the WiFi floodlight Camera and me with the iPhone in the same room. I have tried to test the setup without building structure distance etc in the way. With reference to my smart TV , I did connect a LAN cable from the TV and plugged into the Hub 2 and it still didn't work ( I wanted to access my Netflix account using the TV). That is why I thought it could be a configuration limitation as my contract does not have a TV package.

Again, thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have had to return the item to Swann and get a replacement. The iPhone app. didn't work. So I guess the problem is nothing to do with my Hub2 / setup ? But will only know when I receive replacement item. Thanks for all your help.
Richard
0 Kudos