Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Connecting VoIP using router

Hello, 

My daughter has been asked if she can work from home due to new restrictions. She tried in the last lockdown but we couldn't get the ViOP to work (no sound). I have read other posts in this forum about the same issue - however I am not at all tech savvy and so many of the responses went completely over my head.

What I did glean is that we can change out Hub to a modem and connect another router and this will enable the VoIP to function. I am not prepared to spend loads of money for my daughters employer and therefore was wondering if you could advise on a cheap router that will do the jo whilst maintain the wifi connections the rest of us in the house need to work from home. I'm looking at this one TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router as it is only £30. 

Any advice would be gratefully received 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting VoIP using router

Hello

What package are you as that router will only get you around 90mbps as it only has 100mb ports, you will need a router with at least 1000mbps ports often called gigabit.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Already a bit lost - but my package is M100 Fibrebroadband if that's what you mean??

What router would you suggest given a very tight budget.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Oh and it is a Hub 3.0
Thank you by the way for coming back so quickly - I pressed reply before I could show any manners 😕
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Have a look at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c7/ which goes for  around £65.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That  TP-Link AC1200 router will cover your current speeds but if you get a higher contract speed you will be stuck at 100Mbs ethernet & Wi-Fi internet with that Router.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - but it would do for 4 weeks until we can go back to using the hub right? Like the VoIP would work through it?
Sorry I know absolutely nothing about any of this
Best Helen
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ah, also we run a TP link plug for internet in our summer house/gym via the electricity network and this is plugged into the Hub. Would this still work or would we have to plug the ethernet to the new router?
Thank you
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Someone is looking down the wrong end of the telescope here. While it might be acceptable to ask your daughter to use her access to your residential broadband connection it is not acceptable for any employer to ask you to provide kit which you wouldn't otherwise purchase or to upgrade your broadband to a speed that you wouldn't otherwise need or want. It is the employers duty to provide whatever kit is necessary to enable your daughter to work from home.  If this means a more expensive router and additional broadband speed the employer MUST pay.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Yes I totally agree with you and I am working with her to try to sort it out from that end of the lens. However, what should happen and what is the reality are sadly not the same thing - I am just trying to find a fix should she not get anywhere with the employer. She is young and daunted by the hierarchy. I think they will just make her continue to go to the office rather than pay for equipment.
0 Kudos