cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Superhub 3.0 to TP-Link or other router

Shardlake
Tuning in

I had difficulty when trying to connect my Superhub to my new TP-Link router. I'm putting the instructions up here for any other unfortunate souls who are trying to do it. Mine is a TP-Link Vr900 v3.0. It's actually quite easy once you know how:

Instructions

1) Set Superhub 3.0 to modem only mode using usual router login, usually 192.168.0.1.
2) Connect the router to the superhub via LAN using only the WAN port (as indicated on the back of the new router). Plug the other end into port 1 on the Superhub 3.0.
2) Set TP-Link device to router / Wi-fi mode by going to Advanced > Operation mode > Select "Wireless Router Mode" and save. If you can't get into the router try disconnecting it from the superhub first in order to get into the intitial setup screens.
4) Go back to quick setup, you will see a message saying "Quick setup function is only available when this device is working in DSL modem router mode" > Select No and it should connect (a weird quirk of the router).

5) Additional instructions:

a. You may need to reboot both devices to get it to work.

b.You may also have to disable/enable your LAN adapter under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" in windows.

c. You may also want to update the firmware of your router to the latest version by downloading the file to your hdd first.

Please reply if this helped you, thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

lloyd36
Tuning in

I hadn't seen this article, but it is exactly the same method I used to link my Archer D9 to the Hub 3 (in modem mode) to improve the WiFi signal, when I joined Virgin Media at the end of January.

The only thing I would ad is that the internet speed has decreased by around 10% overall. This is similar to others experiences when turning the Hub 3 in to Modem Mode.

I use the Hub 3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-AC87U and don't experience a slow down - see graph below from my SamKnows monitor (I'm on Vivid 350).

Capture.PNG

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I also have NO slowdown in modem mode with my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, getting 547 down 37 up.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Flourgrader
Joining in

Hi Shardlake ,

I am wanting to connect a TP_Link_Archer VR2800

to the VM Hub3...

I have not got the Hub3  yet.

But I am assuming it will be their latest version ?

Do you know if the institutions you gave for connecting the  TP-Link Vr900 v3.0

will work  for the Archer ?

Cheers

Instructions it should read.Sorry about that...

The login for that router looks the same as mine but there might be some small differences.

Hi,

Can you advise on any settings on the SH3 and router (I have Asus rt-AC1200G) that I should check to get the full wired connection speed.

I am only achieving 100MBPs maximum, but if I connect to the SH3 as a router I get over 350, so I know it is fine.

Wifi is fine as I achieve 250MBPs on 5GHz.

Frustrated!!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@gcm1403 wrote:

I am only achieving 100MBPs maximum, but if I connect to the SH3 as a router I get over 350, so I know it is fine.

Maybe you have a bad cable try a CAT6 cable as you have a cable from PC to Asus and  Asus to hub one might be bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------

When you plug the router into your Hub3 then look at the little LED light next to the ethernet connection.  Green would indicate 1,000Mbp/s (gigabit), Yellow indicates 100Mbp/s.  I am not sure if it has lights for other speeds or half/full duplex.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.