Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connecting Ethernet cable overrides Wifi

I have a VM Hub 3.0, Cat5e Ethernet Cable and 2x Netgear ex3700 wifi extenders. 1 wifi extender boosts signal but only to an intermittent level around the house. I have laid the ethernet cable to the 2nd wifi extender and tried to connect it in Access Point mode. When I connect the ethernet cable to the VM Hub and extender, the WiFi overrides and WiFi connections turn to 'no internet, secured'. This set up has worked in my parents house to a Gigaclear hub and I suspect it requires selecting something other than Modem mode to enable both Modem and WiFi to be used. Any thoughts/helps would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting Ethernet cable overrides Wifi

Can we try and stick to the one post and not posting in others threads as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary - I posted in another thread asking if it had been resolved as it was the same issue but no solution offered. Can you help here with this query?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi EndlessEthernet,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

Just to confirm have you put our hub is Modem mode?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your reply. I haven't as I presume once I put the Hub in Modem mode it will not transmit its own wifi signal and this signal will only be emitted from the access point routers wired into the hub?

Thanks,
Guy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode will only work with one device cabled direct to the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Get a wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi EndlessEthernet,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums. Sorry to hear that you are having WIFI setup issues. There isn't anything that you would need to configure on the VM hub, the setup should be done from the Netgear side which unfortunately I do not have much information to be able to support. However do make sure that the extender is set to factory default, if you have done any previous configuration on the extender, these will have to be cleared out and put to default before connecting the Ethernet. 

After you have connected the Ethernet then proceed with the AccessPoint set up instructions as provided by Netgear, this may be a document or website tool to validate your connections.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos