Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connecting BT Smart Hub 2

Hi all, I had Virgin installed a month ago, and my wired broadband is fantastic, my speed is always over 300mbps.

Wifi however is awful.  The range is just terrible, it doesn't even reach the kitchen in my smallish home.

I have a BT Smart Hub2 that I would like to connect as a wifi extender.  I have put the Virgin Hub 3 into modem mode, and set up the smarthub to act as the wifi connection, following instructions from this forum, and connected a ethernet between the Virgin Hub and BT Hub but I can't get an internet connection.

The ethernet port LED on the Virgin hub flashes to say it's connected, and the BT hub says it is connected, but all I get is a local connection.

Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting BT Smart Hub 2

the BT hub can't be used on a cable conenction. you need a cable router and BT ones are DSL routers.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm not trying to replace the Virgin hub with the BT hub.

I am trying to use the BT hub for the connection, and the Virgin Hub as the modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

and the bt hub is not compatable as a cable router. you can't use it with the SH in modem mode.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You cannot use the BT Hub with the Hub in modem mode as you have found out.
By putting the Hub in modem mode, then the BT Hub needs to act as a NAT Router, and not as a wireless Access Point.

However, you may be able to use the BT Hub as a Wireless Access Point with the Hub in Router Mode, there plenty instruction on the Forum how to do this.
Basicallty, on the BT Hub. assign the BT Hub a Static IP address in Hub's DHCP range, disable the BT Hub's DHCP server, connect LAN to LAN.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Actually I think you want the IP address to be outside the DHCP reservation range.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand what you're trying to do but I don't think it's going to work. I would suggest the following:

1. Use an extender. A powerline/homeplug.

2. Re-location of your hub. If your BT hub was in the hall and your VM hub is at the point of entry, you may have a coverage issue based on the location of your hub.

3. 3rd party router. There are many 3rd party router options that offer excellent wifi coverage due to the higher cost compared to the hub 3.

If the install technician put your hub in a bad location, I would push for that option first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The main issue really is that the hub was placed to close to the tv, and virgin tv box.

My tv is causing issues with the wireless signal from the virgin hub.

The cable connecting the hub to the wall is to short to be able to move it.

My BT hub and the wireless discs that came with it give excellent coverage into the garage, the loft and the bottom of the garden, which is why I wanted to use it along with the Virgin Hub.

Reading online, numerous forums have posts saying to put the virgin hub into modem mode, change settings on the BT hub, and hey presto, done. 

But that doesn't seem to be the case...  at all!!

I don't mind spending money on a decent router, but it seems a shame when I have a perfectly decent set up redundant!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

could try https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Networking-BT-SmartHub-6-with-Virgin-Hub-3-...

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've tried that Paul, and for some reason when trying to connect to wifi, or ethernet, internet connection is refused due to no IP address being issued!

0 Kudos