Menu
spiderwebby29
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connecting Asus RT AC88u

Hi, trying to connect new Asus Rt AC88u to Hub3 to improve performance as the whole family are relying on the internet connect for work and school. Read quite a few help articles and have switched the Hub3 over to switch mode and set up Asus OK.  Asus shows that the WAN is connected OK to internet but no internet connection to any device I connect either WiFi or cable.

I have allowed plenty of time for the Hub3 to change over and reset but still the same. On my latest attempt I couldn't reconnect my laptop to the Hub3 in modem mode and had to to a hard reset so I could get back in..

Any Ideas would be appreciated at this time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting Asus RT AC88u

Should be easy tbh

Maybe reset the Asus and go through setup wizard whilst not connected to the VM hub.  Set hub to modem mode, and then connect the Asus to the hub.  If they still don't work then power cycle them. Its possible some devices will need a power cycle to re connect as well

0 Kudos
d3m0nedge
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Start from scratch and try the following:

• On the Hub 3 from router mode, set this to modem mode.
  • Wait for the Hub 3 to reset and for the status light to be solid red, and the double green arrows to be solid (then disappear).
  • Then connect an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 to the Asus router into the WAN port and power on
  • Connect a laptop to the Asus router via ethernet (any vacant port will do) and connect to the router via web browser with it's default credentials.
  • Initiate the Quick Internet Setup

If done correctly, the Asus router might reboot to apply the settings. If it works out, proceed to setup QoS on the Asus router to ensure that tasks are prioritized and no over utilization is occurring.

Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For DSL routers the ISP connection type needs to be set to Dynamic IP.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mak1969
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am looking at getting the RT-AC88U too to connect my SH3, just wanted to know if you got it working and if you know if the 8 lan ports are POE (power over ethernet)?

Many thanks
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mak1969 wrote:
Hi, I am looking at getting the RT-AC88U too to connect my SH3, just wanted to know if you got it working and if you know if the 8 lan ports are POE (power over ethernet)?

The web site for  RT-AC88U does not say the 8 ports are POE.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Very few, if any, retail so called routers provide PoE on their switch ports. Usually you need a network switch that supports PoE. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
mak1969
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys yes I noticed they were not POE (full specs from documentation), I just thought I had read it somewhere, I probably mis-read it for PPPoe which is something totally different. 

I have bought the router anyway and will look for a switch later as I have got the cameras yet.

Spiderwebby29 did you manage to get it working? I am going to try now as suggested by d3m0nedge. I'll let you know how I get on later.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
mak1969
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK done, the order is wrong.

Setup sh3 into modem mode let it reboot

switch on asus router, connect it wired to pc\laptop and set it up (Quick internet setup) :-

no to you need username and pswd to connect to ISP

make sure dynamic IP,

Enter wifi ssid and password, and I think that's all done.

Turn SH3 off and connect to WAN port of asus router.

Turn on SH3 wait till fully on and you should be good to go

Hence the Asus router should be on before the SH3, as mentioned in another post on this forum.

If done the other way ie SH3 is on first then ASUS router I got an error message on the network map suggesting DHCP is not support by the ISP (or something like that)

Thanks

0 Kudos
d3m0nedge
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well done.

Sorry if the order was wrong. I was running off memory when I had done my AX88U last year. Glad you got it working!