Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connected without internet wifi

Hi, for the past month or two my wifi has been randomly dropping every few days so that I can connect to it, but I do not have internet access. The only things I have connected to it are my phone and laptop (which I barely use) and no one else is connected to it when this happens. I have reset the router, checked all the wires, tried everything I could think of, but every few days it keeps happening. Could anyone help me sort this out please? I've had brilliant wifi for a year now, but from about May/June this just keeps happening, and I have to wait the best part of an hour for the wifi to reset itself (after several manual re-sets). Could I get someone sent out to look at my hub please? I may have a faulty one.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connected without internet wifi

Which Hub do you have ?

What is your contracted speed ?

Can you connect the laptop to the Hub using an ethernet cable and see if that drops at the same time as the Wi-Fi.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM normally won't send out a technician for a "maybe" type of problem, but we can help by having a look for evidence that might get the matter sorted.

Could you connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  All we need is the contents of the three titled Downstream, Upstream, Network log, and if you can post that as text not screenshots it will help.  Then we can see if there's signs of things going wrong.

Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Faulty wireless in the hub so you need a new one.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I tried that link but it's saying my "hub is downloading an update" and I need to wait, but I waited for 30 minutes and kept refreshing it and it's still updating? 😕 I'm sorry I'm not very helpful here, I'm not very good with technology unfortunately. Is there anything else I could try? Should I log in as it asks me to do when I turn off my wifi? 😕

Thanks for responding!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My hub is a 3.0? I'm not sure about the contracted speed, and I dont have an ethernet cable I'm afraid! I literally only use the wifi to power my phone and occasionally my laptop, I don't even have a tv connected to it or anything! Is there anything else I can try to help try to narrow the problem down a bit? Sorry I'm not very helpful here, I'm not very good with technology to be honest.

Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was thinking that myself to be honest! Should I just call them to arrange for someone to come out? The wifi has been off since I posted my first message on here now and this is the longest it's ever been off 😕

Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try a 60 second pinhole reset 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos