cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to wifi but no internet....unless i change to the guest wifi !!!

Lombear
Joining in

I have been having intermittent issues with the WIFI and internet connectivity and it is very frustrating trying to find a solution to resolve it.

I have a VM hub 3.0 and recently received the WIFI pod.

A number of my devices connect to the main SSID and are able to access the internet without without issue but for some reason a few devices (laptops) cannot access the internet despite being connected to the same main SSID.  The message on the laptop WIFI says "No Internet, Secured".

I set up a guest network SSID and i am able to connect the laptops to the guest SSID and can obtain internet connectivity.  I can't work out why they will not connect to the internet on the main SSID and I have to use the guest SSID.

I have turned off and on my router numerous times, i have done a factory reset.

Any ideas or support would be appreciated.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Lombear 

Have you changed anything on your hub? The pods only work under certain conditions.

Keep your Hub in Router Mode - Do not put the Hub into Modem Mode, as this disables the Wi-Fi and your Pods are connecting to your Hub via Wi-Fi. Likewise, if you use a third-party router it will not work because the Pods are designed to specifically connect directly with VM's Hubs only.

Do not split the SSID – If the SSID is split then the hub treats the two bands as two different standalone networks (the same as picking up your neighbours Wi-Fi when you search for a network). The Smart Wi-Fi cannot move a device between different networks.

Do not disable either bands – If both bands (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) are not switched on then the software cannot move the device for optimisation, which essentially disables the Smart Wi-Fi.

You should also ensure that Chanel Optimisation is enabled in your hub settings.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Lombear,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues connecting to WiFi, I've had a look at things from our side, and everything looks fine. 

Have you been able to have a look at the advice from newapollo?

Let us know if you're still having problems.

Alex_Rm

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.

All of the instructions you listed i have checked and am already set up as you have suggested and frustratingly still having the same problem.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Alex_Rm, 

Thanks for your reply.  I have followed the advice from newapolla and frustratingly i still have the same problem.

Thanks

Client62
Legend

Disable both MAC Address filtering and Wireless MAC address filtering on the Hub

Thank you @Lombear 

Can you post your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode),
• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum