Menu
WorstBroadband8
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Connected to WiFi but not Ethernet

I've been encountering this problem for a while, I'm connected to the WiFi on my phone but my computer refuses to connect to the internet through WiFi or Ethernet. Usually when this happens I reset the router but lately its been happening more often and now won't connect regardless of what I choose to do to solve the issue.

It states that my device is connected and can access other devices on my local network, but may not be able to reach the internet. Is this an issue on my end or is it Virgin Media again? We've encountered similiar issues where we've went a week or two without internet at all, there was no work being done in the area and when we phone in for help we're redirected to people that speak broken-english.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connected to WiFi but not Ethernet

Just to be clear. You say the wifi is connected - does that mean that it connects to the internet just fine?
What device(s) are you connecting by ethernet cable ?
Have you changed the cable?
What Hub model do you have and what are the lights on it doing?
Also, set up a free “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

To look for a VM issue, as well as the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connected to WiFi but not Ethernet

Hello WorstBroadband8

Thanks for your post. 

How are things looking now

Let me know if you need anything else 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos