cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect not naming devices

Steviep123
Joining in

Hi. A few days ago my Connect app showed all connected devices by name but everything is now named ‘unknown’ apart from one. 

I’ve just rebooted and it’s still the same. Any ideas pls? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1) Every 2 or 3 days it is required to explain how to manually disable Wireless MAC Filtering and MAC Filtering when folks have in enthusiasm blocked their husband / wife's office laptop / VPN and their security cameras and / or heating systems and so on.

Usually this is discovered at the point when a key Zoom call is due and the notoriously unreliable VM Connect app has decided to fail and either not connect to the Hub or to display an incomplete list of blocked items.

2) Current laptops and mobile phones all have MAC Address Randomisation built in as standard, if you block a MAC  address it is going to take kids days perhaps only hours to figure out the steps to release their device.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Hero

For your own sake do not start pausing devices on your network.

Thanks buy why? That’s the only reason I’m using the app…to limit my kids usage.  

1) Every 2 or 3 days it is required to explain how to manually disable Wireless MAC Filtering and MAC Filtering when folks have in enthusiasm blocked their husband / wife's office laptop / VPN and their security cameras and / or heating systems and so on.

Usually this is discovered at the point when a key Zoom call is due and the notoriously unreliable VM Connect app has decided to fail and either not connect to the Hub or to display an incomplete list of blocked items.

2) Current laptops and mobile phones all have MAC Address Randomisation built in as standard, if you block a MAC  address it is going to take kids days perhaps only hours to figure out the steps to release their device.

Jeez. So it sounds like Virgin have some work to do on a) their tech and b) their UX. 

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Steviep123 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your hub.

Can you try and pinhole reset the hub and rename the devices from here please and keep us updated with how you get on?

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks but I’ve tried that a few times but nothing changes.

What I don’t get is how they were all named devices without any manual intervention when I first got the app but now they only show up as ‘unknown device’. 

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened @Steviep123 have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well as clearing the cache? 

Thanks again