Menu
Highlighted
Legend
Message 31 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect a better router (for its WIFI) to my SuperHub1

Double NATing: where router 1 (VM) does the Network Address Translation and then router 2 (yours) also does it. 

Two DHCP servers: a clients send out a DHCP request and two server reply to it causing problems.

Do an internet search for the long explanation. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 32 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@RobEW wrote:

Sorry but I don't understand your terminology. I've tried it and it seems to work ...

Yes it will certainly work (as you have found out) it's just that from a networking perspective it's not an ideal setup and you might well run into odd-seeming issues later on. For example if can (depending on the circumstances) be problematic getting a device connected directly to the VM Hub to talk to another device on the secondary router, be it connected via cable or wifi

It wouldn't be obvious by just looking at the setup but physically and logically you would be running two separate networks.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 33 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Thanks All. There's some great expertise on here. I've also tried to do some of my own research on the web, but advise and information is of variable quality, clarity and comprehensibility. I think I need to set up my Superhub in router mode with WiFi switched off, and my router as an Access Point (rather than a bridge); remote from but wired to the superhub, and providing WiFi.

I took a trip to Waterstones to see if there was something like an "Idiot's Guide to Networking". There was indeed and it was nearly 1000 pages. Life's too short ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 34 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Your setup as specified above will work fine.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 35 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I've a slightly different problem for which I'd appreciate advice.  Sorry if this is not the right thread.

My superhub 2ac's wifi is fine.  It happily serves around 15 or so devices - mainly home automation - and any phones or tablets that happen to be on.  However, if the Virgin Network (wan?) goes down and then recovers, the hub hangs and has to be rebooted.  More annoyingly, to ensure the reboot is successful, all 15 wifi devices, all over the house, have to be powered down and restarted in sequence.

I have two questions:

1) If I put the hub into modem mode and add a, say Asus, router,  can that router, with all its wifi devices still attached, recover the Virgin wan signal without needing to be rebooted in such circumstances.  I recall a post somewhere that said that normally only the modem needed rebooting.  If true, that would alleviate a lot of frustration !

2) Virgin are still pushing their hub 3. Heaven knows why given its write up - but now Virgin is saying that it will be rolling out a software update in August that will improve the wifi performance dramatically.  Can anyone shed light on this ?  And can a hub 3 recover more successfully from a wan outage than a superhub 2.

I ask because I now have a hub 3 in its bubble wrap that I am not going to install until I'm confident it's an improvement.  (As I understand it, once the hub3 is installed you cannot revert to the 2ac.)

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 36 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@GrahamBryce 

I don't think I've ever had that problem with the 2ac not that I've used one for ages - I use a hub 3 myself.

The problem with sticking to the 2ac is it only has 8 downstreams so your download speed is going to be limited to 200Mb/s  If you're considering putting it into modem mode then you'd be better off going with the hub 3 in modem mode and attaching your own router.

Normally though if your in modem mode - when the 2ac comes back up the router should automatically pick up a WAN connection again.

Not sure about any further updates for the Hub 3 - Virgin Media are normally quite tight lipped until they're ready to release the update.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 37 of 42
Flag for a moderator

News - Ive now got my Super Hub 3 installed and its running at 220Mbs+ download as apposed to the 200 from the Hub2ac (it was not the Hub1 as I previously thought).

Hub 3 does not work well in Modem Mode though (only 40Mbs download) unlike the 2ac which got 200mbs across the TP-Links wifi channels, but the Wifi coverage is So! much better on the Hub3 that I dont need the extra TP-Link AC54000 router, so ive decided to just run the Hub3 and return the TP-Link.   Plus the Hub3 works very well with my NordVPN software.

Thanks for all your advice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 38 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@ant1DP wrote:

News - Ive now got my Super Hub 3 installed and its running at 220Mbs+ download as apposed to the 200 from the Hub2ac (it was not the Hub1 as I previously thought).

Hub 3 does not work well in Modem Mode though (only 40Mbs download) unlike the 2ac which got 200mbs across the TP-Links wifi channels, but the Wifi coverage is So! much better on the Hub3 that I dont need the extra TP-Link AC54000 router, so ive decided to just run the Hub3 and return the TP-Link.   Plus the Hub3 works very well with my NordVPN software.

Thanks for all your advice

@ant1DP What about testing wired from the TP-Link with the hub in Modem mode?  You want to check download speed, ALWAYS check wired first.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 39 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I did connect the Hub3 to the TP-Link with a Cat6 1 meter cable as suggested in this post.  If thats what you mean, sorry for being confusing 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 40 of 42
Flag for a moderator

What I meant was - you need to have the device you are testing with wired to the TP link's LAN.  That will tell you the true download speed you are getting.

When you're testing network speeds test wired first - then look at the wireless.  There's a lot that can affect wireless speeds.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos