Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect a better router (for its WIFI) to my SuperHub1

It absolutely won't work I'm afraid.

In modem mode, you can only have the WAN side of your ASUS router connected to the VM Hub (as you have discovered only one of the sockets work). Everything else, NAS, printer, PC has to be connected to the LAN side of the ASUS. I'm afraid the best option is to move the ASUS to a better location and you will just have to run Ethernet back to your study for the PC and NAS. What you could possibly do it to move the ASUS, run a single Ethernet cable back to the study, purchase a cheap 5 port gigabit switch, plug the cable form the ASUS into that and then the NAS and PC connect to additional ports on the switch. At least then you are only running one cable back - but, naturally, you will still need to run Ethernet from the hub up to where the ASUS is located.

You could call VM and ask them if they can move the Hub (£99 I believe is the call out charge for this) to a better position and remove the need to run long Ethernet between it and the ASUS.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for replying. I'm not very clear on the distinction between WAN and LAN, but I think you're suggesting that the signal is transformed by the router from WAN to LAN format / protocol, and the latter is needed to meaningfully connect devices. 

There seems to be conflicting advice for someone in  a very similar position in the 10th posting on this old thread, unless I misunderstand.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Best-router-to-extend-wi-fi-network/td-p/3426493

Virgin callout option seems to be a hefty price. (Would they run their cable neatly through out home I wonder?) That price would go most of the way to buying an  extender, access point, second router  or even a Mesh setup …

A Facebook friend tells me that if the signal from Superhub is inadequate Virgin will provide extenders ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 42
Flag for a moderator

The terminology can be a bit obtuse at times, I agree.

WAN stands for Wide Area Network, that's basically all the 'stuff' from your VH Hub or router, back out the wide world, LAN is Local Area Network, basically all the stuff in your home and how it is all connected together.

Imagine the VM Hub as basically four different boxes all connected together but all encompassed in one single black box, first is the cable modem, this takes the raw cable feed from VM and turns it into a more conventional network connection. However the cable modem would allow one and only one device to connect to the internet and there would be no 'firewall' or protection for it, so the next link in the chain is the router / firewall. This device allow you to have multiple devices in your home which can all 'share' the single internet feed as well as provide security. Now you need a means of physically connecting more than one device up, and this is the third component which is an ethernet switch - and you can actually 'see' this part, it's the four physical sockets on the back, lastly because people want to use wifi, you then have a wifi access point which is the component which broadcasts and receives the wireless signal.

In this scenario the WAN-side would be the cable modem box, the LAN-side is the wifi access point, switch and everythng that you connectto them and the demarcation line between the WAN and the LAN is inside the router/modem component. Yes I appreciate that literally all of these boxes are physically inside your home but for the purposes of networking the cable modem and half of the router part are 'logically' outside! 

Now in theory these should be literally four separate devices linked together (and actually this is precisely what I have at home) but as this would be difficult for most people to configure VM, like most providers, instead give out one box which does all of them - but not always very well. The VM hub is a perfectly adequate cable modem, it's a reasonable router/firewall/switch (as long as you don't try to do anything too out of the ordinary) but a somewhat woeful wifi access point. What you have done, and as indeed have many others, is to put the VM Hub into 'modem mode' which disables all bar the cable modem functionality, so to make it all usable, you have to provide something to take over these features. Remember that the cable modem on it's own can only allow one device to connect to the internet so that one device has to be the WAN-side or 'outside' port of your own router and everything else has to be on 'your' side or LAN side of the router, albeit connected via cable or wifi. Your own router is doing all of the work all it knows is that it has a raw internet connection on its WAN side (it is blissfully unaware of what that connection physically is and really doesn't care) and some devices which would connect to the LAN side and it handles the connectivity between the two - a bit like a doorman at a posh nightclub really it will let people (network traffic) out but nothing get in unless it's 'authorised' to. To be honest what's actually going on is actually far more complex than that but it's a reasonable analogy for now.

So in your case you are stuck between a rock and a hard place really, the cable modem (VM Hub) has to be connected to the router, your NAS and PC also need to be connected to the router but at the same time the router needs to be more centrally connected. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably plump for a meshed wifi system, and these also come it two types. Firstly are the type with are also a router/firewall, so one would replace your existing router (ie plugged into the VM Hub) and take over all of it's features, the other components are positioned around your house (I believe, but don't quote me, that the Linksys Velop or Ubiquity Unifi are like this), the second type (a bit cheaper) are the pure wifi access points only (BT system for example). For these the first one would plug into your existing router and the secondary modules are put around the house - you would probably want to disable the wifi feature on your router since this would now be redundant.

Hope this helps a bit, I do appreciate that it can be a bit daunting, but I'm sure that you will be able to figure it all out - it's actually quite logical but there are many people on this forum who would be able to give advice if needed.

Best wishes

John

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of creating such a detail and informative description.  I had no idea the VM hub was so complicated. Shame it doesn; have a "Modem plus" ode which does everything except the WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 42
Flag for a moderator

No problem, and it is similar to how any ISP provided router works, they try to simplify things for the end user to giving you what they hope is a simple plug-and-play solution, fine when it works (and to be fair it does work for the vast majority of the customers), not so fine when it doesn't or your situation is a bit out of the usual.

Technically, I suppose you could aways use the VM Hub in it's native 'router' mode and just turn off the wifi provision (which would be your modem+ mode), but since you already have your own router which is almost certainly going to be a better router than what the hub provides, I didn't think to mention it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 42
Flag for a moderator

http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_configuration.asp

The link you sent to find the "Max Traffic Rate list for the Downstream" Fails to open!  but im running anti virus and VPN.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Im not sure what your talking about, but im thick on routers. Never heard of ASUS and I hate PC's.

The SH1 has a poor WIFI, so ive bought a TP-Link router to provide WIFI by connecting it to the SH1 by Cat6 cable to run in Modem Mode.
The iMac, iPhones, iPads and security cameras will connect by WIFI, no hardware connects by ethernet (except the two routers in modem mode).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Think you have hijacked my post RobEW, thats probably why you're confused.

btw WAN is Wide Area Network and LAN is Local Area Network
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)    138750000  Locked

Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)           39400000    Success

Provisioning State                                 OK               Operational

Speedtest is giving me just over 170Mbs download and 12Mbs Upload

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@ant1DP wrote:

http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_configuration.asp

The link you sent to find the "Max Traffic Rate list for the Downstream" Fails to open!  but im running anti virus and VPN.

Well its not going to work with a VPN try without.

0 Kudos