Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Connect a better router (for its WIFI) to my SuperHub1

Wifi connection has always been a problem with Virgin and my SHub1, its got better since the recent notice of them fixing something but my security devices rely on a stable WIFI and they have to be re-installed each time it drops out.  I believe a super hub is always required to connect to the Virgin net but you can place the router in 'modem mode' and ethernet cable it to a second router to use its better WIFI.

Ive bought a TP-Link AC5400 Triband router to connect to and I have seen the youtube video's on setting it up. Im not sure on the best SuperHub settings for this setup though?

Question1) What is the best Ethernet Cable to connect the SHub1 to the TP-Link router?

Question2) Are there any tips or links on the best way  of setting the SHub1 up to connect to the TP-Link router, for performance??

Question3)  Should I bother upgrading to the new inteligent SuperHub?, as I wont be using my current SHub's WIFI???

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect a better router (for its WIFI) to my SuperHub1

I am only going to answer one of your questions...

Number 3. Yes. Yes you should get A SHUB1 replaced as a matter of urgency/sanity.

Now where has my SHUB1 gif gone...

hubfire.gif

This is the fate it has earned....

Phone in, ask nice and if that fails demand a new HUB3 FOC. The key points you want to mention are "It is well known the HUB1 suffers from ramping latency" and "the WiFi is not fit for purpose"

Do that first. Then come back if you need to attach a separate router (always a good idea) and we will point you the right way. Smiley Wink

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Now now Kippies the SH1 is not that bad and is fine in modem mode.

Q1 The cable you want is CAT6 some of the cables you get with routers in the box are cheap.
Q2 you can setup QoS on your new router to stop BufferBloat
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

When I first got the hub1 it was great for about a year, ten it started to go funny but it’s a lot better since Virgin’s fix.  I wondered if it was even worth updating just to be put in ‘modem mode’ but I’m paying for the fastest plan so I think I deserve an upgrade, especially as I’ve passed on version 2 and 3.  

I wonder what the new ‘Intelligent Hub’ is like?

I’ll order that cable.

Thank you both for the advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

If your speed is more then say 100Mb you need a new hub but it will be the hub 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Its 200Mbs and I did get that speed when it first came out but its down to 170 now, but that doesn't bother me as I dont notice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Or you could try for a "free" Hub3 replacement - see the link below. If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet ! It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Thanks allot for that info. 

I did get the ‘Ooops’ message so I will try dialling in the week when the lines are less busy. Already spent 30 mins today. 

Ive sent a hub upgrade request to their new text service, perhaps that might produce results. Those selection numbers will come in very handy. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

What does your Max Traffic Rate list for the Downstream?
http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_configuration.asp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

(Hope this isn't too much of a digression)

Our old "Diamond" cable enters our home in my study where it's connected to a Superhub 2ac now running in modem mode which is in turn connected by a short ethernet cable to an ASUS RT-AC86U router. Before I added the ASUS router I had almost no signal outside my study. It's an old house with thick internal walls and very few power sockets so a powerline system would be awkward. The signal is much improved but still poor in my wife's study and also by our wireless printer which gets a very erratic signal.

My first though for a solution was to move the router next to the printer using a longer ethernet cable. The problem is that I have two devices (NAS and Desktop PC) hard wired to the router in my study, so I'd need multiple long runs of cable. (The spare sockets in the superhub seem to be dead when in modem mode). I'm wondering whether - rather than buying more routers, extenders, Mesh system etc - it might be adequate to get a cheap Ethernet splitter socket (they seem to be called switches) and connect the superhub to the input and thee outputs - to my deskop, my NAS and (via a long cable) to the router now relocated next to the printer. 

So my 2 questions for any of you knowledgeable folk who might want to be helpful are:

(1) would this work electrically, with the right signals and protocols for the network to function effectively?

(2) I think routers have come kind of invisible but valuable firewall and security features to protect devices in the home from predatory attackers of various sorts. Would my desktop and NAS be unprotected using this method? 

0 Kudos