Menu
Cambliam
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connect a NEST PROTECT fire alarm

HELP!!! Anyone managed to successfully connect a Google NEST Protect fire alarm to their VM hub 3? I have spent too many hours trying and had Google trying (and failing) to help. They have now said I can't do it as Virgin Media don't support IPv6 but I can't believe it - I think they wanted me gone. I have a dedicated 2.4GHz signal that I am connecting to, have tried everything I have read in a forum but my phones (tried two brands) will not find the damn thing on the network. I will be eternally grateful if anyone can help and will design, buy and send a Hero of the Day badge to anyone that can help

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
chunkos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect a NEST PROTECT fire alarm

You can use a Orbi Wireless Mesh for your WIFI & Routing vs using Hub 3 and all works fine. I have connected three Protect devices to my network and all work fine.
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@chunkos wrote:
You can use a Orbi Wireless Mesh for your WIFI & Routing vs using Hub 3 and all works fine. I have connected three Protect devices to my network and all work fine.

I assume you had to enable IPv6 on the Orbi since you have more than one device?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce wrote:

@chunkos wrote:

I assume you had to enable IPv6 on the Orbi since you have more than one device?

Think you need it even with a single device.. app to protect device is also done over v6..

0 Kudos
Cambliam
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for suggestion. Hoping I don’t have to spend over £200 on something to make the fire alarm work. Still hoping there is a setting I have missed or something else. Thanks for taking time to respond though 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The ipV6 is a red herring as currently there is no ipV6 on any virginmedia connections, that has nothing to do with the connection to the fire alarm.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

The ipV6 is a red herring as currently there is no ipV6 on any virginmedia connections, that has nothing to do with the connection to the fire alarm.

Regards Mike

The device will work over a v4 network for sending notifications etc.. but for initial setup - either connecting a new protect device with an existing or connecting a single device to the nest app - the comms all happens over v6, with no support for 4. 

it doesn't require internet connectivity over v6, it does all of that over v4, but it needs a v6 (ULA is fine) address to get up and running.. 

doesn't matter that VM doesn't support v6 in their network, if the gateway device supports it, you can get them working fine. 

0 Kudos
Cambliam
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas in what’s going wrong then? The best app just won’t find the Nest Protect

0 Kudos
Cambliam
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a work around then? Do I need to use another router at someone else’s house (tricky in lockdown) or try and do via a hotspot? Luckily I have 2 phones although having tried that it didn’t work last time but maybe there are settings in the hotspot I need to change? 

0 Kudos
Cambliam
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Turns out the thing was faulty. Google sent a replacement and it linked up straight away over IPv4. Apologies for the red herring. If you’re having the same issue contact Google Store online chat and they’ll send an advanced replacement. Now it works I highly recommend them as well as the thermostat 

0 Kudos