cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing settings on new TP Link AC1600 router. VDSL/ADSL/VLAN IP? What does it all mean to connect?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi forum,

The situation I'm facing is this. I bought a new router from Argos, the TP-Link AC1600 (Archer VR600)  which is a VDSL/ADSL router (it said it was fibre compatible so I got it).
And I have been struggling to connect it to the Superhub 3 which I have in Modem mode. Nothing seems to connect, especially when it asks me to specify the connection type which I am confused about.

I have the fibre M350 deal with phoneline.

Before anything, yes, the cables are all connected in the right places and there is power going to both the modem and the new router.

I think I was able to deduce the following:
Despite having multiple options for providers, one was for Virgin_ADSL, that is in fact not correct in my situation as my modem is connected via fibre. So I chose the option 'Other'.

When in the 'Other' category 2 options appeared; ADSL or VDSL.
I searched online and found that Virgin media use VDSL and dynamic IP, so I clicked the dynamic IP option and it sent me to a VLAN page with an on/off toggle, and a VLAN ID.

I do not get a connection with VLAN turned off, and I don't know what to put in for the VLAN ID option.

Am I doing this correctly? When I called virgin media for support they didn't help much.
Is this router a wrong type? Do I need to return it for another one?

2 REPLIES 2

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
It's Fibre compatible as in FTTC for the likes of BT, TalkTalk etc. on the Openreach network.

Virgin is cable broadband so you need a cable router.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

kkorkky
Dialled in

Short term switch the Hub 3 back into router mode. Connect to the Virgin WiFi and ethernet cables into the back if required.. I would try and return the TP AC1600 as its not going to work on the Virgin Cable network. It would have worked on SKY if it was a DSL connection and configured properly.

The only other thing I can think of is to switch the AC1600 to a WiFi Access Point (if thats possible) and connect an ethernet cable between the HUb3 and the AC1600.  It may require an ethernet Cross over cable as opposed to straight through cable. However that means you would have two wifi networks that you could roam between. This is not a permanent solution.

I use Hub3  in modem mode(Its IP address is now 192.168.100.1) connected into an Asus Router with WiFi.  Works a treat.

Regards

KK