cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer loses wifi when on video call with multiple callers (no other devices affected)

mike0408
Tuning in

Hi all

For the past few months, I keep losing WiFi on my computer when on video calls with multiple callers. This happens once a day. I can connect and get into the call but I get disconnected about 10 min into the call - the computer gets disconnected from the wifi and I cannot manually reconnect. I have to restart the computer which fixes the situation. After that, everything is fine. And the disconnection is only triggered by video calls. During all of this, all other devices (phones) retain WiFi access. 

I have got a decent broadband speed of 200 mb. I know how to access router settings in case fixing requires making some adjustments there. 

Many thanks in advance for any help! 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Without delving into sorting wifi issues... the "guaranteed" fix is to connect you device directly to the VM Hub on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable for the duration on any of these calls/meetings.

Get a 20/50 Metre run for less than a tenner and after the video call, just disconnect it and roll it up and leave it in your bits drawer. Or, if you can - leave it permanently connected and hidden.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks. I think this is the case of a guaranteed fix being a massively sub-optimal one. 

The whole point of using WiFi and investing into high-speed one, is to connect via WiFi rather than start running cables - no matter how invisible one can make them appear. 

But thanks anyway. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its in no way "sub-optimal" in terms of connectivity... it is the gold standard. It may be suboptimal aesthetically, but I prefer function over form 😎

You arent using a VPN are you by any chance?

If you want a wifi connection see this I have posted before.

On a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Note that BT charge their customers an extra £10/month for their "Whole home wifi" solution

If you want to sort it yourself (forever) you would need to get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.