cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer-laptop not seeing new Hub 5 network (WiFi 6).

rich1
Tuning in

Computer-laptop not seeing new WiFi 6 network.

When installing the new Virgin hub 5 most devices see and connect to the network. Some, usually older, computers and laptops just do not see the new hub network exists. Seems no logical reason.

The new hub 5 and possibly other new routers are compatible with all the older WiFi standards 802.11- a,b,c,n and ac. No problems. Newer routers have however added the new WiFi 6 standard 802.11- ax.

Some older computers use older Intel WiFi adaptors and  drivers. Intel has been recognised that older drivers do not recognise routers which have the ax standard operating. This is described in a support article:  “Systems Using Intel® Wireless Adapters Supporting 802.11ac Not Displaying Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) Networks in Scan List of Available Networks” ;  link  Systems Using Intel® Wireless Adapters Supporting...

For the problem computer, it is worth at this stage finding the operating system is in use :- Windows 7,8,10 etc and if it is 32 or 64 bit system.  Next see what adapter/driver is installed. To do this find “device manager”. Select WiFi adaptor and look in advance settings which should give you the type and date and version of the driver. Mine was an ‘Intel dual band wireless AC 7260’ . The driver was ‘version 18.33.12.2’ dated ‘24/01/2018’.

To install the correct updated driver is easy:-  Download to another computer, copy to a USB stick and then run the installation from the stick on the problem computer. The difficult bit is finding the driver in the Intel web site! This can be confusing.

Following the links in the above article leads to finding downloads of a driver with name starting bt**** This is the Bluetooth driver only and does not give the WiFi driver!  You need to find this article under support; ‘Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products’: the link being:-   Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products

This identifies the adaptors and drivers affected and provides links to download the most up to date drivers available. Both the Bluetooth and the WiFi drivers can be accessed for your adaptor.  It is worth downloading and installing both but it is the WiFi driver which sorts the problem.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 REPLY 1

smyckers
Joining in

This worked perfectly for me with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 on a Dell laptop. I reset my hub 5 to factory settings and it still worked so no other changes were needed.

I used the link at https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000006507/wireless.html

Thanks for the help!