Menu
absami
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Complaint - Intermittent internet issue

Hello,

I went for virgin broadband in Nov 2020 which worked fine for about 2 months and since Feb 2021 internet stops working intermittently. I have complained multiple times over the phone, waited long hours but I am told to reset the router or they inform me that they have done something from their end which will fix the issue but it doesn't. I requested them to send an engineer to investigate but they refused they will get into trouble for booking an engineer.

Pathetic customer service by Virgin and I don't know what to do as my office and personal work is suffering. Can anyone help me with the solution or raising a complaint who can deal with the matter seriously?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint - Intermittent internet issue

Is it affecting wired or wireless connections?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
absami
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless connections, just to be clear wifi signals are fine, its just the internet which stops working. I then have to disconnect and connect wifi or restart the device to get it working again.

0 Kudos
absami
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have tried to split the router into 5ghz and 2.4ghz. The issue occurs over 5ghz only and not 2.4ghz. But again 2.4ghz has less speed.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So it’s not a line issue.

You need to pick a less congested channel for the 5Ghz band - maybe a DFS channel like 100 or 108 if you’re not in the immediate vicinity of any radar sites 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The 5GHz band has less range than 2.4GHz, and is blocked by walls and floors.  This is not something that Virgin can do anything about.

Have you thought about fitting your own WiFi router or one of the popular mesh systems? 

0 Kudos
absami
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It’s not about the range as the problem occurs even if I am sitting in front of the router and even if it was the range issue how come it worked fine for the first two months?

I don’t mind investing in a router but it’s the responsibility of Virgin to identify the issue and advise otherwise it would be a waste of money.

0 Kudos
absami
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary, I have changed the channel to 100 and will monitor how it goes.

Why is Virgin not bothered to investigate and advise on a solution?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@absami wrote:

Thanks Gary, I have changed the channel to 100 and will monitor how it goes.

Why is Virgin not bothered to investigate and advise on a solution?

Because there’s no cure for Wifi issues especially on £30 hubs. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@absami wrote:

Wireless connections, just to be clear wifi signals are fine, its just the internet which stops working. I then have to disconnect and connect wifi or restart the device to get it working again.

If the signal is strong, and the problem occurs adjacent to the hub, then chances are it is a broadband fault, not a wifi issue.  And there's no particular reason that a restart would solve a wifi problem, but there's every reason a restart would solve a broadband problem, because during a restart the hub's cable modem abandons its existing cable connection setup and has to renegotiate all cable frequencies and power levels from scratch, which usually works until the underlying fault causes performance to degrade again.

If, as I suspect, this is the case, then changing to 5 GHz (which certainly is a better choice than 2.4 GHz) won't help much, and we'll need you to post the hub's status data for Downstream, Upstream, and the Network log.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos