cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CityFibre cut my fibre cable

joangray71
Tuning in

How long should a repair of the outside cable take?

CityFibre cut threw it on the 24th November I was told engineer would come out on the 28th Nov but he was an indoor engineer and told me someone would be out that day or early the next but no-one showed.

So I called was told the 13th December.... Then I was receiving texts giving different dates 8 different dates in total! But no-one was booked for the jobs.

My elderly mum 78, is on the vulnerable list as she relies on Alexa if she falls, which she did just a couple of weeks ago.

Without Alexa she's very vulnerable I can't go out she has a wheelchair, Zimmer and walking stick and can barely walk but she's terrified of falling backwards down the stairs again because she can't call for help which Alexa was great for.

We've now been told the cable won't be repaired till 4th January yet the pavement has been left open for the cable to be laid easily in my garden probably 12ft of cable no digging at all.

Should it really take this long? That'll be well over a month and my mum is very vulnerable.

I hope I've posted on the correct board, I'm new.

11 REPLIES 11

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi joangray71,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about your cable being cut. 

I can certainly take a look on your account for you to see if there is anything I can do to help. 

^Martin

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Please look out for a private message from myself. 

^Martin

gm_anandh
Joining in

Hi 

Cityfibre cut my virgin broadband cable last Wednesday, I reported it to Virgin on Thursday and I'm still without broadband 8 days later. Engineer visited first, some 3rd party next and it was down to cable repull as damage is beyond repair. Cable repull was scheduled on Monday 20th and rescheduled for today 22nd but no one showed up. I've made about 10 calls, struggle to get through and surprisingly got different updates each time. One common thing is no one really knows what's next. Someone from field service I spoke to on Monday said service will be 100% up today else he'll arrange temporary service from my understanding neighbour tomorrow but that's not recorded anywhere and ended becoming one of the many failed promises. One update that rattled me today was construction work required in tarmac and needs Council permission. My neighbour recently and I few years ago ordered and got your broadband in couple of days and tarmac was dug up and redone in hours. I'm told temporary service will be attempted on Friday but confidence is super low. I'm spending through my nose on travel to work, temporary broadband and cafe hopping. Customer service is shocking, not one call from Virgin so far.

@gm_anandh wrote:

Hi 

Cityfibre cut my virgin broadband cable last Wednesday, I reported it to Virgin on Thursday and I'm still without broadband 8 days later. Engineer visited first, some 3rd party next and it was down to cable repull as damage is beyond repair. Cable repull was scheduled on Monday 20th and rescheduled for today 22nd but no one showed up. I've made about 10 calls, struggle to get through and surprisingly got different updates each time. One common thing is no one really knows what's next. Someone from field service I spoke to on Monday said service will be 100% up today else he'll arrange temporary service from my understanding neighbour tomorrow but that's not recorded anywhere and ended becoming one of the many failed promises. One update that rattled me today was construction work required in tarmac and needs Council permission. My neighbour recently and I few years ago ordered and got your broadband in couple of days and tarmac was dug up and redone in hours. I'm told temporary service will be attempted on Friday but confidence is super low. I'm spending through my nose on travel to work, temporary broadband and cafe hopping. Customer service is shocking, not one call from Virgin so far.

It’s somewhat, actually, hard to know where to start with this one. Firstly, welcome to the broken excuse for a customer service provision that VM offer. And I say this purely to set expectations, because if you are imagining that having posted on here, people will leap in to action and sort your connection out, then I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed.

So, in reverse order, ‘Customer service is shocking, not one call from Virgin so far.’, yes that’s normal, customer callbacks are often promised, don’t actually happen, received wisdom is it that these are just a ruse to get the annoying caller valued customer off the phone.

One update that rattled me today was construction work required in tarmac and needs Council permission. Ah yes, the old, ‘Council Permission’ excuse, often trotted out when the poor sap on the other end of the phone has actually no idea of what is happened and just needs to make something up to get you off the phone (see above).

Someone from field service I spoke to on Monday said service will be 100% up today else he'll arrange temporary service from my understanding neighbour tomorrow but that's not recorded anywhere and ended becoming one of the many failed promises. Ah now, the person you spoke to has absolutely no ability to influence the outsourced third party company who actually do the work, neither can they make any promises on their behalf. You were, well, basically lied to. Not a good thought, is it?

I've made about 10 calls, struggle to get through and surprisingly got different updates each time. One common thing is no one really knows what's next. Yes exactly, that’ll be because VM have made a corporate and conscious decision to outsource all of this work, but also to not bother to have any sort of control or oversight as to what their contractors are doing, or not doing. Whoever you call, they literally don’t know what the situation is, often they are simply incentivised to lie and say it’ll be done on <insert made up date here>, but the important thing is that they will clock up a ‘successfully closed’ call - and this is the metric on which they are paid - anyone else see the obvious issue here?

And lastly;

Cityfibre cut my virgin broadband cable last Wednesday, I reported it to Virgin on Thursday and I'm still without broadband 8 days later. Engineer visited first, some 3rd party next and it was down to cable repull as damage is beyond repair. Cable repull was scheduled on Monday 20th and rescheduled for today 22nd but no one showed up.

Now, whatever the reason, this isn’t your problem it’s VM’s. From your perspective, you have no service but are still paying, fine you are now entitled to compensation of £8.25 for each and every day from the date when you first reported it until VM extract digit and get it fixed. Now actually getting said compensation, might be a bit of a fight, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the meantime, you need to keep records, when did your service fail, when did you contact VM, what did they say/promise, what actually did happen?

The automatic compensation for total loss of service of broadband or telephone is £8.40 per day and kicks in two working days after the fault is reported by a customer. You also get a credit of £26.24 for each missed engineer appointment.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks, appreciate the guidance. 

Hi @gm_anandh 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the cut cable. This work to repair/fix it has been delayed due to no visible tee, however, from the system check I have done, the work should be complete next week. Once again sorry for the issues you've had and we'll sort the repull asap.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John 

Since Monday I've been getting messages about cable repull appointment that keeps getting rescheduled in the last minute. Latest is for tomorrow - my confidence is low. How did you get to know tee isn't visible? Your 3rd fibre team that visited last week was confident of bringing a new cable in from another tee junction few feet away. 

If anyone in my street were to order a new broadband, construction work will happen immediately, won't it? Probably new installs are top priority for construction team? Existing customers are not going anywhere, are they? 

I had similar experience when I had VM broadband couple of years ago. It was down for a month due to a cable cut that took minutes to be fixed but wasn't scheduled for that long as your team was quite busy. I switched to another supplier when that contract ended and switched again to VM hoping things will be different but no it's much worse now. Waiting for the contract to end, never VM again. 

Hi @gm_anandh 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I am sorry it's been delayed. From checking the system, this is how we were able to identify it's a non-visible tee. Please do let us know how the visit goes.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill