Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Chronic lose of Network connections.

I keep on getting disconnected from my network. I have in my home a home and security system. This system keeps notifying me of the drop offs that usually happen late at night or in the early morning. Anytime, between midnight and 6 in the morning. I have investigated this by doing speed tests. I’m getting between 4mbs to 48 mbs. This increases to about 148mbs at around 6 in the morning. What is the point of having WiFi product if you keep getting problems? My speed package is or was 350 mbs. Every time I loose my security cameras, hub, security doorbell, and carbon monoxide product ( not an exhausted list) I have to get someone out to reset it all. My Hub use to reconnect ok, not anymore, but the cameras and doorbell has to be reset by my engineer at my cost. Now he will not return due to it keep dropping off, time and time again. He did advice getting a new, more powerful router. He suggested a Nighthawk X6. Can anyone help please?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Chronic lose of Network connections.

Virgin do not sell “WiFi products”.

Does anything connected by cable also drop as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gary, thanks for your quick response. Firstly, to be honest I have not check to see if my Mac has dropped to. That is being fed by cable. I will investigate that. 
Do you know if Virgin will allow a Router such as the one suggested to me. I have been told they might but I have to keep the modem and connect the router to that. Might be the other way around. Furthermore I might have to try and place this in the loft (Central).

I have little knowledge of all this, that’s the reason why I’ve had to call in a Google engineer to help reconnect. He can’t tough the router/Modem unless he has permission, which he does not think he will get. What I do know is that he’s just as fed up with this as much as I am. Now I have to search a new Google technician.

Anyway Gary, I thank you for your help and understanding. I’m new to this Virgin Community, so can you guide me to what I press the Kudos icon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You don’t need to pay for a “Google engineer” to reconnect something to a WiFi network - that can be done by the user.

A third-party router or mesh system still improve the WiFi connectivity over the hubs (poor) WiFi output. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

To be able to use your own router you would have to enable modem only mode https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode, once in modem only mode the router needs to be connected to the hub and then everything else will be connected to your own router either wireless or wired.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You think? For us wrinkles it’s getting harder, and when my system drops as much as it does it does cause hardship. God bless you for you help. I can assure you it is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. That’s what the technician told me but he was not sure Virgin would except this. He also told me Virgin were bringing out a new version of Route, (is it v5) not available to everyone just yet but it may improve the connection. Anyway, thanks to you too. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The only current hubs that VM have are the Hub 3 and Hub 4, there has been no notification of any further hubs being released, VM only tend to share this information once the hardware is released, so I do not know where said engineer got this info, if it is internal information then he should not be sharing it.

VM will allow customers to use their own router as long as connected to the hub, quite a few of Virginmedia customer use their hub in this way, myself included although my router isn't a commercial device it is a home built unit, running free router software yeah I know but that what happens when you have 40+ years in IT.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mike. Let me make it very clear to you. I did not mention in any of my statements or comments that have suggest my engineer was a Virgin Media ‘engineer.’ Can I make it clear that I mentioned my engineer was a Google trained engineer, who like you have worked for more year in the trade for far too long. Can I further let you know that I am near 70 and have never worked in this field. For clarity my work is video editor using fcpx software, even that now is becoming difficult. From my memory I believed he said v5 but knowing me, he could well have said v4. You can be reassured that no Virgin Media member has ever given me inside info. No VM engineer has ever been able to work on my system either, as they are not trained in Google products. So never been able to help other than reboot, and reboot again. All I want to know is why my products shut down and why my speeds change to as low as 5 mbs and 48 mbs throughout the night. This preventing my security system for securing my family and property. Can I say one more thing? This is very important to me and why I have reached out to the community because I’ve had this issue for about 12 months or more and I’m getting very down hearted about it as I hope you can appreciate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The virgin hubs are notorious for poor wifi, which is why it's alway suggested that modem mode with your own router or mesh system is the way to go.

If however you have issues with ethernet connected devices as well, then it may be more than just the poor wifi.