Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

‘Checking WiFi Connection’ problem following diagnostic test + really bad coverage around house

Hi everyone

It has been a few days since i have installed VM, 200MB package on the HUB3. 

I had nothing but issues. I tried separating bands, factory resetting the router etc... and spent HOURS trying to talk to someone on the VM side, to be constantly patronised. I do not know what to do next.

When i run a diagnostics test, i always get the problem of “Checking WiFi Connections’. I checked everything around the router and all is tightly connected. 

Upstairs, we are barely getting any good coverage. The speed getting to the tv upstairs is around 5MBs ! That is crazy considering this is a 200MB package. Watching something on Netflix is almost impossible now and 4K streams are just not possible. The TV will connect for a few minutes and then that will be it. The signalling is so poor, it keeps dropping connections.

I have a feeling this router has a few issues but I dont know if VM will bother resending another router to at least try and see if it fixes our issue. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ‘Checking WiFi Connection’ problem following diagnostic test + really bad coverage around house

@Huseyinonur wrote:

Hi everyone

It has been a few days since i have installed VM, 200MB package on the HUB3. 

I had nothing but issues. I tried separating bands, factory resetting the router etc... and spent HOURS trying to talk to someone on the VM side, to be constantly patronised. I do not know what to do next.

When i run a diagnostics test, i always get the problem of “Checking WiFi Connections’. I checked everything around the router and all is tightly connected. 

Upstairs, we are barely getting any good coverage. The speed getting to the tv upstairs is around 5MBs ! That is crazy considering this is a 200MB package. Watching something on Netflix is almost impossible now and 4K streams are just not possible. The TV will connect for a few minutes and then that will be it. The signalling is so poor, it keeps dropping connections.

I have a feeling this router has a few issues but I dont know if VM will bother resending another router to at least try and see if it fixes our issue. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks!

Are wired connections ok, or do you experience the same issue?

We need to determine if the HUB is at fault or there is actually an issue with your line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ‘Checking WiFi Connection’ problem following diagnostic test + really bad coverage around house

TV's don't have the greatest of wifi chips installed in them.

Where are you measuring these speeds on the TV?

The 200Mbps package you have is based on the speeds delivered to your home and hub and then with a wired device - not wireless.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there 

wired connections seem to be okay. I have the hue bridge, hive bridge and Apple TV connected via Ethernet and seems to be working okay. Of course I don’t know what sort of speeds they’re getting. I don’t really have any devices where I can connect to the router through Ethernet and measure speeds. But to be fair, when I am with in a short distance of the router, like a meter, I’m getting 220 mbps which is what I should get. 

upstairs on the other hand, is as stated in my original post. 

thanks !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Huseyinonur wrote:

Hi there 

wired connections seem to be okay. I have the hue bridge, hive bridge and Apple TV connected via Ethernet and seems to be working okay. Of course I don’t know what sort of speeds they’re getting. I don’t really have any devices where I can connect to the router through Ethernet and measure speeds. But to be fair, when I am with in a short distance of the router, like a meter, I’m getting 220 mbps which is what I should get. 

upstairs on the other hand, is as stated in my original post. 

thanks !

Try splitting your SSID into two, one for each band, like below:

Connect a device to the '_5G' network and see what speed you get upstairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

the TV has its own browser so I’m using Speedtest website on there. There’s no other way I can measure speeds on this tv due to its location. 

I appreciate that it’s based on speeds delivered to my home. I’m aware of that. But it’s not justifiable if speeds provided don’t go hand in hand with a router given. 

im meeting 200mb anyway, when near the router. The issue is as above in my original message. Particularly upstairs. 

I must point out though that, I say upstairs but we live in a very small london home in a congested area. So there’s no much difference at all between the router and the Samsung tv upstairs. 

thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey!

Thank you. I’ll try that now. Any opinions on the whole smart WiFi option? Shall I disable that? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Huseyinonur wrote:

Hey!

Thank you. I’ll try that now. Any opinions on the whole smart WiFi option? Shall I disable that? 

You can, however you need an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB&gl=US to check for the least congested channels.

Don't forget when you change the SSID all your wireless devices will need re-connecting!

Another option is to leave the 5G as is and change the 2.4G to '_2G'. This will force all devices to the 5Ghz band, and you won't need to reconnect them!

So when searching for wireless networks you'd see VMxxxxxx and VMxxxxxx_2G.

Up to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Time Priority Description

18/11/2020 00:50:18criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:49:52noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:49:17criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:12Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:8Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:8criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:8Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:8criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/11/2020 00:44:7Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 18:41:29noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 18:40:54Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 14:04:56noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 13:58:23Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 13:45:1noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/11/2020 06:02:44criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/11/2020 00:39:53noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/11/2020 00:29:21noticeSW download Successful - Via Config file
16/11/2020 00:26:41noticeSW Download INIT - Via Config file
14/11/2020 09:45:31criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/11/2020 13:14:12Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ive performed your suggestions, however, still having similar issues.

I posted a bunch of data from the router status page. Grabbed it just as i noticed disconnection but it seems this isn’t simply a signal issue this time round. More so, a complete crash of the service coming to my router.

Currently using data from mobile device to be able to post this.

Does the below mean anything by any chance ? Many Thanks !
0 Kudos