Menu
Ripp
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheapest, easiest, most basic way to get 5GHz around my house from my Hub 3?

My 5GHz WiFi speed is excellent when devices are within 6ft of my Hub 3 (545Mbps) but this drops off significantly and quickly the further away from the Hub the devices get (50Mbps in the worst room and no signal at all out on my back patio). 

The common solution seems to be putting the Hub 3 in Modem Mode and plugging in an external router. So are there any cheap ish, reliable, main brand no frills options that are simple to set up? I've had a relatively decent router in the past (Asus RT-N66U) and I found I just simply didn't need all the settings, options and capabilities it offered, I actually only got it so I could setup a network wide VPN to access American Netflix on all devices at home but we don't do that anymore. 

Essentially I just want to plug in something simple that'll broadcast 5GHz around the whole house (not a massive house) and relay as much of the Hub 3's speeds as I can.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cheapest, easiest, most basic way to get 5GHz around my house from my Hub 3?

You either want a router or a mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cheapest, easiest, most basic way to get 5GHz around my house from my Hub 3?

I would suggest you get a decent AP, something like Unifi AC Pro.  This will broadcast a good wifi signal over a wide area.

However depending on the construction of the property, you may need more than one, e.g. one downstairs and one upstairs.

Unfortunately there is no "cheap" way of getting a solid wifi signal everywhere, especially with 5Ghz, it's all down to budget.

0 Kudos
Ripp
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A WAP is probably the best solution for me yes as the Hub 3 is actually putting out decent speeds (for now). Any suggestions on a simple one?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As you are looking for a solid 5Ghz signal, that will not be cheap.  5Ghz whilst giving good speeds is affected by distance and environment far more than the older 2.4Ghz signal.  That's why I suggested a SoHo type AC Pro.  They are easy to use by a simple app on the phone as well. However this sort of wifi technology does not come cheap. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How much are you prepared to spend? A good Tr-band Mesh system will also be worth considering. Even a non triband one may be good enough - depending on your property size/layout/construction and the number of devices you want to connect at what speeds.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.

I suspect their speeds are not at the full max throughput as there is always some speed loss per "hop" - but clearly not enough so they notice 🙂 The Triband version (M9) would reduce that for those on GB packages with umpteem devices

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Ripp
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ordinarily I'd just spend whatever it cost but I lost my Aerospace Machinist job a couple months back due to COVID so I have to watch what I spend now as the Wife and I are living off of her salary. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you still have the Asus? Might be possible to set it up as a wireless access point and just wire it up with some Cat5e cable (<£10) to the Hub in normal router mode and place it where it can deliver the 5GHz more widely

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ripp
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No I no longer have the ASUS, the only other router I have is a SKY ER115. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can get decent router/WAP for £20-30 with 5GHz if you dont mind being limited to 100Mbps by non-GB ports.

EDIT e.g.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/36133-tp-link-archer-a5/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi6DIkbet7gIVT9PtC...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos