Menu
Jgreen1
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Changing to two wifi networks on Virgin Hub3

I have two computers connected to this Virgin router, Hub3.  They will run off 5GHZ.  But I want to add a third device, a camera, that only runs off 2.4GHZ.  I think I know how to enable, in advanced settings, the 2.4 network.  But would that step mean turning off and disabling the 5GHZ network? Or can the router run off both networks simultaneously, depending on the devices linked to it?

I ask because one of your old posters stated "The SuperHub 3 uses one dual-band connection that supports 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I think an earlier SuperHub let you have two SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5 but not this one."

As though it can either run off 2.4GHZ OR 5Ghz, but not off both at the same time?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing to two wifi networks on Virgin Hub3

it can use both. you just need to split the SSID names

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On the Hub 3 you can rename the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs independently from one another as that's the common advice I've seen given to people having issues.
0 Kudos
Jgreen1
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cheers.  How is that done? And can I change them to any name on advanced settings?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The option should be found under Advanced Settings -> Wireless for splitting them.
0 Kudos
Jgreen1
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I will try.  Then reset the router at the back of the router to embed the changes?  By the way, will having 4 devices (1 on 2.4ghz and 3 on 5ghz) slow down the devices working?

I imagine that if I don't like the result of the change, it's as easy to revert back to the original router settings?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'd have assumed the settings should apply by themselves after hitting save/apply on the web ui.

Devices share the bandwidth of the wireless network, but 3 devices on one isn't many or anything to worry about.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You shouldn't really need to split the SSIDs as the camera should just connect to the single SSID as it wouldn't be able to see the 5GHz network.

If you are having trouble connecting with the single SSID then you can try splitting the SSIDs by giving them different names in the Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security section of the Hub's GUI.

0 Kudos
Jgreen1
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am up to here.  Which of these do I use?  To change one of the networks to 2.4GHZ and to change its name?  You say I then don't need to then reset the router. Another poster just said this is all not necessary, as the security camera should automatically link to the 2.4GHZ network. While keeping the other devices linked to the 5GHZ network.WIFI.PNG

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wireless Security.

To leave the existing 5GHz devices connected leave the 5GHz SSID alone and change the 2.4GHz SSID.

The opposite of what mine is, where I left the 2.4GHz one alone and added -5 to the 5GHz one:

F8758152-0DA9-46AF-BF9F-1460591C4F1B.jpeg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos