cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing DNS. HUB 4

337edy2
On our wavelength

Hi all

I recently sent in a complaint to Virginmedia regarding the speed of my internet connection. I have a 500Mb connection and speed checks suggest that it's running as it should although to be honest it doesn't seem any faster than previous internet connections that I've used at anything between 67Mb and 100Mb. The Virginmedia Team haven't come back to me with anything concrete and most of the response I got regarded WiFi only. I have no interest in WiFi and my router is configured to switch my WiFi OFF. I don't use It for anything. I have cat6 installation for my purposes which I much prefer. I've never considered my DNS before but it was suggested by Virgingmedia that my DNS could be slow. As far as I know I use my ISP DNS. I don't know that much about these things but surely if my ISP DNS is slow then my ISP should fix that! I suspect there is a lot more to it than that! I feel the 500Mb I'm paying for isn't all it's supposed to be so my questions are as follows.

Is it safe to change DNS?

Can someone recommend a DNS to use?

Are there any specific DNS I should avoid?

I did a DNS benchmark and the fastest of the ones checked were NTL associated with Virginmedia. It was the only UK based one on the list. All the others were US based. Can someone enlighten me as to what I should be looking for please. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Hello ALF28, Do you put your virgin hub into Modem mode and use a separate router (to use the 9.9.9.9 dns)? Thank you!