cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed contract but told i've used 700gb in a month

tammyw86
Dialled in

Hi

So i've got fed up with the out of contract bills and have signed up for the 250m one, the agent said (to my surprise) i've used x18 my data and that i've hit over 700gb in a month, They can't tell me how or what device used that much, i don't do 4k and i was around 20 max films/shows on netflix a month.

Is this right as i've checked what i've used in a month on all traffic and i've only hit 217.42gb, this it game updates and what i watch, is virgin bulling me just to up my package. Is anyone else getting this fake usage amount?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM Broadband packages are unlimited data and usage is no issue.  Or are you talking about your Mobile's data allowance?  If so it may be that your BB wifi connection is dropping (unnoticed by you?) and the devices are then auto switching to using mobile data??

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nope its broadband at home, i was only the 125m for 54$ and got fed up of the high price, he tried to get me on the 500m one due to my usage till i told him there was no way i used that much.

He told me to change and fully reset my router incase some has got in it, this shouldn't be if the security is high as virgin stat. my pass is 16 mixed characters long, they also had a 84 and not 86 on my account (email) but refused to say why, i also asked if this could be why i've had nothing but slow and bad connections for 6+ years of my 10 year lease and he said yes.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Offshore CS are often making things up on the hoof to get you off the call - ignore all the password  bull  no one has accessed your Hub.

Usage is irrelevant for most 250 Mbps users, so ignore your total usage its an irrelevance.  The higher speed is only needed for multiple high data usage simultaneous connections.  As an example - a typical high use connection is when streaming a 4K Netflix movie.  They say that needs ~20-30 Mbps.  Normal HD streams about 5 Mbps.  So you can see you can easily manage several of those simultaneously.  Other usages... browsing, gaming, streaming music, etc., each use much less per device  - ~1Mbps - so you have plenty of headroom on 250.

What issues are you actually experiencing which are more likely related to connection quality?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You say you used "only" 217.42GB, this is huge and way beyond what most people download (even Call of Duty: Warzone Season 3 is a 21GB download). What else have you been downloading.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

You have heard of the 100Gb+ update on call of duty right? 4k texture packs for the xbox series X.

Its not huge as i've seen way bigger than mine just for normal use. I also run a website and download my backups which can range from 10Gb to to 15Gb each week.

They are talking rubbish, there are no limits with your subscription.