Menu
jjonnic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Change frequency of wifi

How do I change WiFi frequency from 5 to 2.4 GHz to add smart devices. Thanks.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change frequency of wifi

the hub uses 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time.
If your smart device only supports 2.4 it will only see that and won't even know the 5ghz is there

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

it will if you rename them to -2 and -5 say on the end. youneed to tick the box to unlink the names
----------------------------------------------------------
2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What Hub model do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jjonnic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it's the media hub 3. I have disabled the 5KHz channel. When I try and pair up it times out. Some times it tells me to connect my phone to the hotspot SL-XXXX OR SmartLink-XXXX. Pressed the connect button but takes me to available WiFi page but can't find anything to connect to. Been at it eight hours. This thing was supposed to make my life easier. I feel suicidal at the mo. Any help, could just save a life.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dont use the rubbish Connect App.  Follow this...

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone Number: 116 123

Samaritans

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jjonnic
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you everyone I have it cracked now.

0 Kudos