Menu
Highlighted
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Change WiFi p/w on iPhone

Hi folks, can anybody tell me how I can change my WiFi password on my iPhone 7 please?

I do not have a PC or laptop. I have somehow managed to use all my 30GB of WiFi data in less than 2 weeks (something I have never ever done before) and Virginmedia customer services have advised me to change my WiFi password. They know I don’t have a PC but I can’t find a way to do this on my phone.

I don’t want to play around and completely lock myself out of WiFi. 

Customer services are also not able to tell me how I’ve managed to use all 30GB but have advised I will be charged an extra £7.50 for the month and switch to unlimited use until my next refresh date. Last night I received a text informing me I have been given a free 2GB buffet. 10 minutes later, another text advising me I had used that as well!! Despite being asleep in bed!

Is this common? I’m worried I’ve been hacked or someone has my password.

Thank you for any replies. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change WiFi p/w on iPhone

It sounds like the iP7 is losing its wifi connection to the Hub for some reason and auto defaulting (unnoticed by you) to the 4G/3G network on VM mobile. Have you noticed that happening ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

That not wifi that is the data allowance on the phone, totally different as if your connected to a wireless through your hub it will not use your data.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

its my broadband data not 3g/4g. I get 30GB of broadband data per month on my broadband/internet/wifi. It’s that that’s been used up in less than 2 weeks. Sorry if my original post wasn’t clear. I’ve been advised to change my broadband password. That’s what I need to do. I only use my phone. No one else uses my internet unless they have somehow hacked in. No one else has access to my home so no one has my password. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It’s very awkward, but you should be able to get into your VM hub from a browser on your phone. Goto a URL of 192.168.0.1 to get into your hub. I see you have an iPhone, so you should be able to do it from the Safari browser.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’m pretty sure I’ve changed the password but I would have expected my iPhone to now disconnect from WiFi and ask for my new password before it could connect again. But this hasn’t happened. It has stayed connected.... does this sound normal?
thanks for your help so far  

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The password is only negotiated when the connection is initialised, so unless the VM drop and reinitialises the connection you will stay connected. Unfortunately I do not run in modem mode (and I’m currently in Lanzarote) I cannot test it out.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I seem to have success after an hour and a half and lots of head scratching! Password successfully changed. I can’t thank you enough for your help. More helpful than VM customer services! Fingers crossed it’ll stay working ok now THANK YOU 🙏🏻 😃

0 Kudos