Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cat6 with virgin superhub 3

I can connect a laptop directly to the hub using an Ethernet cable however I have cat6 in the house which feeds into a patch panel. If i plug the laptop into a cat6 socket then plug the patch panel connection into the router it complains of an invalid network and invalid ip address. If I plug the patch panel into a Netgear switch then connect that to the router that doesn't work either. Any help if this makes sense would be greatly appreciatef

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cat6 with virgin superhub 3

Are they managed or unmanaged panels and switches?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary not sure what you mean by managed / unmanaged

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What are the make and models of the switch and patch panel?

Did you have them working before with another setup?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

disconnect everything (laptop from socket, hub from panel).

connect the hub to the patch panel, check for a link light on the hub - if you get one, then there is a device already connected to the other end of that patch - go find it and label your patch panel accordingly 🙂

if you don't a link light, go connect the corresponding socket to a device (i guess your laptop?) and check for link lights - do you have link lights at both ends (on the hub and on the laptop). if you don't get a link light, then you've connected the wrong port OR there is a problem with the patching (perhaps a loose connection either in the socket or on the panel).

If your laptop is getting an APIPA address (169.254.x.x/16) then it is unable to talk to the dhcp server running on the hub.  

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advise. I get a light at both ends when both are connected. Not sure about the APIPA error I will check

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

APIPA addressing isn't really an error.. it's an auto configuration mechanism for devices that are unable to get an IP address from a dhcp server, and don't have a static configuration.

if you have connected both ends, and have a link light on both ends, then layer 1 checks are complete. 

next up, layer 2/3 🙂

If you don't get an IP address via DHCP then check that you're device isn't configured with a static address (control panel, networks, adapters, - select your adapter -> IPv4 properties - it's somewhere around there, you might have to hunt a bit)

make sure that both the address and the dns settings are set to "get automatically" then apply/ok

open a command prompt - Start -> run -> cmd

type ipconfig /all and hit enter, look for your "Local area connection - ethernet adapter" and see what address you have..

if it's 192.168.0.x (or similar) then you've probably just picked up an address from the router - happy days - does it work?

if it's a 169.254.x.x address then try

ipconfig /renew and hit enter

check address again with ipconfig /all

if it's still a 169.254.x.x then you haven't picked up an address over dhcp and more troubleshooting will be required

edit: it's probably worth checking a different port/socket combo.. see if there is an issue with the specific run to the socket you're testing..

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks tehwolf I will try that and let you know how I get on

0 Kudos