Menu
Annezabelle
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cannot use apps on smart tv

Having contacted Samsung they say there is a firewall on my internet that is preventing me connecting to the apps like Netflix and Prime video. How to I bypass this to make my tv work (Samsung Frame)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot use apps on smart tv

You shouldn’t turn off or bypass the router firewall as that would leave you very ‘exposed’.

However, If you really want to you can login to the hub at http://192.168.0.1 and disable it temporarily to see if the apps then work.

I doubt it’s a firewall issue despite what they’ve told you.

Our Samsung TV apps work fine with a VM hub firewall as they do other devices.

Have Samsung advised any particular ports that need opening?

If the issue persists I’d start with a reboot of the hub, factory reset of the hub and reset of the TV.

What hub model is it?

How is the TV connected?  Wired or wireless? How far is it from the hub/router?

Try a wired (Ethernet) connection if you can.

Have the apps ever worked on this TV?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Also check if UPnP is enabled on your router (hub).

It should be on by default 

There are arguments for disabling it but likely more convenient to leave on if you don’t know how to configure ports.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if your smart tv needs upnp or a firewall disabling then you need a better tv

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try the Samsung fora - I got good advice in there and eventually help from Samsung Support UK which solved my issue (unrelated to yours)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Cardiffman281
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try switching the telly to standby and then physically unplugging it for one minute then plug it back in, start it up and try again. We are finding we are having to do this with our Samsung telly at least weekly these days to get the WiFi back again. 

0 Kudos