Menu
markfranklin
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cannot get wired connection to stay open with new PC

I hope someone might be able to help me with this odd one.

Have M200 broadband with Super Hub 3, been working fine for years (inc. previous equipment) but just recently I had to replace my PC.

The new PC is a very good spec and all is well apart from the broadband connection.  The Hub is about 2 feet away from the PC so I prefer to use a wired connection as opposed to WiFi.

The connection worked on the new PC for about 24 hours, then started dropping out.  Now it will only stay connected for a few minutes and it fails.  When it fails, the only solution is to reboot the PC - then it's fine again for a few minutes, then fails again.

Connected via WiFi is perfect and never fails.

I returned the PC, and the retailer has tested it for about a week using different wired connections and it has never failed, so they suspect the issue is with my Hub.

However, whilst the new PC has been in the shop, I have tried two other borrowed PCs at home with the wired connection and neither has failed.

So the issue is that my Hub does not like my PC!

Have tried different ports on the Hub and different cables: Cat 5, 6, 7.

Any clues would be really gratefully appreciated.

Mark

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot get wired connection to stay open with new PC

What do you mean by ‘fails’?

No communication whatsoever?

Can you ping it?  Can you ping other devices from the PC such as the hub?

Are the Ethernet drivers the latest?

Can you do a loopback test?  Does that show anything?

Any Antivirus software installed?  Is that set up correctly?

Have you looked at fitting a separate Ethernet card - they’re cheap enough 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Also, look at putting another operating system on a USB stick (thumb drive) and booting from that (or from an optical disk).

See if that then works with your hub.

It can help prove if it’s an OS issue or hardware.

Easy to do with Ubuntu, for example.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Further - boot Windows in safe mode with networking - does connectivity remain then?

Look at running Windows Network Diagnostics too, for what it is worth 

0 Kudos
markfranklin
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the ideas here.  In the meantime, I purchased a USB / Ethernet adapter and that has worked perfectly.

So the issue was between the router and the Ethernet card in the PC.  These two pieces of equipment clearly did not get on:

- The router works fine with all other PCs / equipment

- The Ethernet card in the PC works fine with other routers

So the mystery remains - but now I have a fully stable connection using the USB adapter, so I am happy now!

Thanks again

0 Kudos