Menu
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cannot Get IPVanish to work on Virgin media Hub 3.0

Initially my system comprised a Hub 3.0 connect to 2 windows 10 computers, 2 Samsung Galaxy phones, an Galaxy Tablet, Amazon Firestick, Panasonic Smart Tv and as raspberry Pi 4. The system worked well with download speed of around 220 Mb/s and upload speeds of around 20.

I tried to get IPVanish installed on the Firestick but found that a connection could not be established.

I tried IPVanish on one of ther computers and found the same problem.

As the wifi reception in certain parts of our house was not too good I decided to buy an Asus RT-AS68U router which I now use with the Hub 3.0 set in Modem Mode.

Again the download and upload speeds are equally good.

I tried installing IPVanish on the Firestick and computer, as separate apps, but I still cannot get any connections established..

Finally I tried to set up IPVanish on the Router, a process not too difficult to achieve. Though everything seem to go according to plan I could not establish a connection.

I gather that this is due to actions by Virgin Media

1. Can I set up a VPN on my system? 

2. Will IPVanish work OK?

3. If not which VPN will work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot Get IPVanish to work on Virgin media Hub 3.0

Might not make any difference but power off the hub in modem mode for 2mins and connect a PC to the and boot the hub in modem mode and try the VPN.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

turn off websafe https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-use-websafe

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin do not officially support VPN’s 

However, have you logged into your online account and disabled the Child Safe option?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Oldun
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had a bright idea, just before Christmas. I decided to get my computer running off a wifi hotspot from my phone, thus removing Virgin Media from the loop - and then see if IPVanish would work.

turned the computer on and booted up with VM as the wifi provider. Just to make sure that IPV was not working I turned it on ands to my amazement it worked on VN wifi.

I then tried IPV on our other devices, computer, phones, tablets and Firestick and IPV worked on all of them.

I have no idea what has changed or where the change took place but all is well now

Thanks for your advice but hopfully I can relax no.

Happy New Year to you all

By the way our car was caught in an underground car park ,during an unannounced flood, and was taken away Christmas Day..

0 Kudos