cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me what's the problem with my connection?

chandrest
Joining in

I searched up in the FAQ and on google, tried to contact the support with no success, maybe someone can tell me what's the problem here.

I have had the 3.0 Hub for less than a week, internet drop multiple times a day. I tried rebooting, on/off... the only way for getting it working again is to unplug the coax cable from the wall socket and plug it back.

Can you guess what the problem is? (the cable attachment is not loose from what I can see)

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

Here are things for you to check ...

Customer Services are on 150 or 0345 454 1111 from a non-VM phone - ( to report a fault ).
WebChat is a chat bot, best to avoid burning time with that.

1) Check for a fault in your street

Call  0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service

2) Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream (tab) Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels indicate a current service noise fault.

Upstream
(tab) Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16 on any channel is a current service noise fault.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chandrest wrote:

I have had the 3.0 Hub for less than a week, internet drop multiple times a day. I tried rebooting, on/off... the only way for getting it working again is to unplug the coax cable from the wall socket and plug it back.

Are the "drops" only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.