Menu
Terrybud
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can you run a second broadband along side Virgin Broadband

I am having no luck with Virgin solving my WiFi problems, particularly dropping off. I am considering paying for a secondary broadband (Sky) to help solve the problem until my Virgin contract ends in 12 months. Is this technically going to work?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can you run a second broadband along side Virgin Broadband

Yes - they are totally separate

But have you tried resolving your VM wifi issue first that will be a far cheaper fix? Are the ethernet connections dropping out at the same time as the wifi ones.

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?) then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables) they only now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better quality wireless equipment (not extenders) which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Terrybud
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, don’t quite understand by buying a router will solve the problem, I assumed that the problem was the broadband coming into the house, not the equipment when in the house, but bear with me I am not a techie.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It could be either (or both!) this check is to distinguish between the two.

So connect a computer/laptop directly into the Hub with known good/new Cat5e/Cat6 ethernet cable and see if that remains stably connected to the internet when the wifi ones drop out.

And note what the various Hub lights are showing doing at that point in time.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos