cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to hotspot

robinsonpr
On our wavelength

I have an Android (pixel 4) and cannot connect to any public or private hotspots with the Virgin Connect app. I know I'm right on top of a hotspot.  Can see the WiFi network "Virgin Media" when I go to WiFi settings.  With strong signal.  But the app does not connect even though I am signed in and it says it will automatically connect when I am in range.

In the app under Home - Settings - About it says "Virgin Media WiFi Profile - Yes".  

If I manually try to connect the WiFi to the "Virgin Media" network I can see it asks for all sorts of stuff I don't know.  Eg Domain. 

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robinsonpr wrote:

Ah.  Yes.  And no.  I didn't realise I needed a Virgin Mobile Sim in order to be able to use hotspots.  I haven't read that anywhere else.  O thought being a Virgin Broadband customer was the only requirement.  Shame.  

You don't need a Virgin Mobile sim to use the VM hotspots. A VM broadband account can be used to setup the VM Connect App for hotspot access.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

44 REPLIES 44

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi robinsonpr,

Does this page help? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/sim-based-wifi-eap-profile-settings 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ah.  Yes.  And no.  I didn't realise I needed a Virgin Mobile Sim in order to be able to use hotspots.  I haven't read that anywhere else.  O thought being a Virgin Broadband customer was the only requirement.  Shame.  

Hmmm maybe I don't need a Virgin SIM.  This is from the Virgin site ...

"The Virgin Media Connect app gives Virgin Fibre and Virgin Mobile customers free access to 20 million WiFi hotspots"

I'm a Virgin Fibre customer so should get hotspot access, right?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robinsonpr wrote:

You don't need a Virgin Mobile sim to use the VM hotspots. A VM broadband account can be used to setup the VM Connect App for hotspot access.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes just discovered that I am eligible as a Broadband customer.  So back to original question...why won't my phone connect to any hotspots even when sitting right on top of them with good WiFi signal!?!?

Hello robinsonpr

Thanks fotr yout post and question 

Can I just ask what

Phone you have 

Operating system 

What version it is on 

Gareth_L

Google Pixel 4.  On version 11 of android. 

Thanks robinsonpr

We do have an issue right now with Android 11 and hotspots 

It is being investigated and is currently in the process of being fixed 

Sadly we dont have an estimated fix time yet 

Gareth_L

Ok thanks for the update