Menu
richelectron
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can't connect to FTP server via Virgin Media connection (same details work from other connection)

Hi everyone

Until 6 weeks ago, I've been connecting to my hosting company's FTP server with no problem. But suddenly without warning (and without changing anything) I was not able to connect to the FTP server from my Virgin Media connection any more. I am still able to FTP to the server if I use a different connection.

I asked my hosting company about this, they tested from their side and found no problems. The only thing that has come up after some probing is that my public IP address seems to be blacklisted on 'SORBS DUHL' and 'SpamHaus ZEN' lists which the hosting provider said I should ask Virgin Media to sort out - I asked Virgin Media about this on Twitter and they said I should post here, so here I am.

More details

It's a simple FTP connection on port 21 that was working until 6 weeks ago, stopped working and has not worked since. I am able to connect to the FTP server using a different Internet connection (and the same ftp login details). I am able to telnet to port 21 on other FTP servers from my Virgin Media connection, but not to my hosting company's FTP server.

Please help with suggestions / a solution, I thought it would just come right if I waited long enough but I really need to get this sorted out. Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't connect to FTP server via Virgin Media connection (same details work from other connection)

1.  Tell your hosting provider to learn a little about blacklisting.

Spamhaus Zen is a amalgamation of all Spamhaus blacklists, so it's not simply enough to say you are on Spamhaus Zen - you need to know which particular zone the actual IP address is in.  Most VM users SHOULD be on Spamhaus' PBL by default, they should also be listed on SORBS DUHL and other similar blacklists.

This is because these blacklists specifiy IP ranges that should not be delivering email to SMTP servers that deal with receiving inbound mail for a domain.

2.  Can you do a DNS lookup of the ftp server using nslookup

• From your default DNS - nslookup <ftp-hostname>
  • From Google's publlic DNS - nslookup <ftp-hostname> 8.8.8.8

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

richelectron
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't connect to FTP server via Virgin Media connection (same details work from other connection)

Thanks for the feedback ravenstar68

I had my doubts about the blacklist(s) being part of the solution, but I'm pretty desperate to get this resolved.

Here's the output of the nslookups you asked for:

C:\>nslookup <ftp-hostname>
Server: <local-raspberrypi>
Address: 192.168.0.x

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: <ftp-hostname>
Address: 41.185.XXX.XXX

C:\>nslookup <ftp-hostname> 8.8.8.8
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: <ftp-hostname>
Address: 41.185.XXX.XXX

I tried to replace the hostname with the IP address in my FTP details as well, but this makes no difference to the connection.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That's fine - I just wanted to rule out one possible cause and your lookups have done just that.

Can you post a tracert?  I'm pretty sure that the cause is at the server end (with them blocking your VM IP at the firewall level)  The tracert should be able to tell us whether or not this is the case.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Your being blocked at the server end you can use modem mode to get a new IP to check.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
richelectron
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Here's the tracert ...

Tracing route to <ftp-server> [41.185.XXX.XXX]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     4 ms     4 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    11 ms    12 ms    13 ms  10.53.38.145
  3    17 ms    18 ms    14 ms  pete-core-2a-xe-1120-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.129.37]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    27 ms    23 ms    23 ms  86.85-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.85.86]
  8    25 ms    24 ms     *     193.251.248.249
  9    28 ms    26 ms    22 ms  193.251.129.79
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11   165 ms   163 ms   161 ms  be-5.luk-p1-tho.liquidtelecom.net [5.11.10.190]
 12   165 ms   163 ms   162 ms  be-4.luk-pe1-gsw.liquidtelecom.net [5.11.10.154]
 13   193 ms   162 ms   162 ms  xe-0-1-6.lza-pe2-cpt.liquidtelecom.net [5.11.10.219]
 14   164 ms   163 ms   162 ms  77.246.58.209.liquidtelecom.net [77.246.58.209]
 15   165 ms   165 ms   161 ms  po-2-vl74-wpnn-cr2.1-grid.net [41.185.1.42]
 16   166 ms   163 ms   162 ms  srv01.hostserv.co.za [41.185.XXX.XXX] (my ftp server)

0 Kudos
richelectron
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to get modem mode to work without my own router?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There's no need, you're reaching the server.  You need to ask the server admins to unblock your public IP address.

Tim

richelectron
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help, I hope this gives me the ammo I need to finally get this sorted. I'll post back when I can connect again.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

There's no need, you're reaching the server.

By ICMP but the block can be TCP

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos