Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't connect 2.4ghz devices

Hi all,

I have a number of devices (security cameras / smart bulbs etc) and all have previously been connected to my Superhub 3 and working perfectly. Suddenly, I noticed that my security cameras were showing as "offline". So I checked and tried to reconnect them to my hub but I just can not get them up and running. Initially I thought it may be the cameras, but I have more than one and none of them will connect. So I then noticed that a smart bulb I have had working OK for a couple of years, and also on 2.4ghz had also stopped working. I tried again to pair the bulb but it would not work. I tried another bulb and that was the same. I also have some wifi plug sockets which refuse to connect too despite having been connected previously.

I have been into the hub settings and both 2.4ghz and 5ghz were enabled as expected. I tried to disable 5ghz and leave only 2.4ghz but that did not work. So I read on this forum a method to fully reset the Superhub 3, by holding in the reset button for 60 seconds. I did this and then waited for it to restart and settle before trying once more to get my devices connected again.

Still no good so thought I had better ask the question on here. Is the Superhub 3 on it's way out? or am I overlooking something simple here?

Thanks in adance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't connect 2.4ghz devices

After a pinhole reset the SSID's will revert to the combined one on base sticker. Try going back into the Hub settings and rename them both to separate them so that they are seen as distinctly different networks?

Also, disable "channel optimisation" in Smart WiFi at the same time and see if that sorts it. You will need to reconnect all the wifi connections for using the new SSID/password combo's

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have renamed both now and disabled channel optimisation and applied the changes. Sadly I still can not connect to my cameras or bulbs.

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I tried this again this morning but to no avail.

Any further help would be appreciated, and thankyou.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I suggest you search this forum for "smart bulbs" there have been a number of threads on the same issue over the last year or so which may give you some clues.

Can you connect other devices to the 2.4 network ok. That is, if you select the 2.4 SSID on your phone/laptop/etc (not the 5GHz) then do they connect and work ok? If not it may be a problem with the Hub's 2.4 band - which I would (have) resolve by getting your own better quality wireless equipment.

Also, have you used a wifi scanning App to see what the environment is like and which channels are being heavily used around you (e.g at the camera locations) and tried moving your channel 1,6,11 that is least in use around you?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the info John.

I have managed to get my phone connected to the 2.4ghz but nothing else will. I had the bulbs and cameras all working fine until a few days ago and now they won't pair at all. I'm afraid I know very little about this type of stuff so I have no idea how to move channels or anything about wifi scanning apps so if you could offer any advice there that would be great - thankyou.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I know nowt about smart bulbs - did you find the threads?

Sorting wifi issues like this can be a pain on VM Hubs (which is why mine has never been switched on). It could be a failing "Hub" but only VM can test that.

I always use my own wifi equipment and have never had a single wifi issue.

To scan get a Wifi scanning App and follow the instructions. I am all Apple gear so I use their "Wireless Utility" - so someone else will need to suggest one for you

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos