Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can't configure TP-Link Wi-Fi Extender as Access Point

I'm trying to add a TP-Link RE305 wi-fi extender as an Access Point to my Virgin Media Hub 3.

I'm following the TP-Link instructions, but whenever I connect to the wi-fi signal from the RE305 once i have set it to AP mode, I cannot get any internet.

Have tried lots of troubleshooting. Does anyone know if this is possible?

(NB the RE305 works fine as a wi-fi extender, it just won't work in Access Point mode for some reason)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't configure TP-Link Wi-Fi Extender as Access Point

For AP mode to work you need cable to it by Ethernet.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you want an access point that's NOT hard wired to the hub, you'll need a mesh wifi system.  The first node of any mesh will still have to connect to your hub by ethernet, but you have a choice with the subsequent ones - most people use secondary mesh nodes wirelessly.  I'm typing this on a Chromebook connected to my secondary mesh node, that's got no direct wired connection to the primary node, and I still get 190 Mbps. Speeds would drop the more distant the mesh nodes are apart, or if the house has "wifi unfriendly" construction.

Starting price for a mesh wireless system is sixty to seventy quid (eg TP-Link Deco M4 from Argos, or Tenda Nova MW3 from Currys).  You'd need to decide if the whole mesh operated in access point mode (using the VM's device management, but not its wireless signal), or whether to put the hub in modem mode, and use the mesh in router mode, which is usually a better choice.  If the mesh is in router mode, you won't be able to have other devices use the ethernet ports on the hub, and you'll only have one spare ethernet port on the primary mesh node that most people situate near the hub.  You can use a fifteen quid ethernet switch to increase the number of connected devices if that's important.  The secondary nodes have one or two spare ethernet ports, so subject to location you can use those to connect wired devices, with the mesh system linking them wirelessly to the primary node.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your help.

I should have clarified - I do have my extender hardwired to the Hub over Ethernet.

AFAIK all the setup is correct (I have 'some' experience with networks - not a huge amount though!).

I wonder if there is an IP clash or something but i'm afraid my experience doesn't go far enough to be able to see what the issue is.

Thanks for any help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had one of these devices and IIRC there isn't  any config for AP mode. I did have AP mode working if it was connected directly to the router (AC68 in my case), but it wouldn't  work if connected to a switch. No idea why (and everything else connected to the switch did) and users of TP  Link's forum appear to have similar problems if it's connected to a power line extender. 

Guess it's just fussy. I passed mine on to someone else, it's still a fairly good range extender though 🙂

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/65380528
My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes i'm having a similar experience, i think it might just not work!

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos